• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Should I root even though I have HTC ROM?

paulcooper

Android Enthusiast
Apr 19, 2010
I read a lot about rooting and the ability to remove all the extras installed by the network, but I have a stock HTC rom froyo 2.2 so I am thinking do I really need to root to get rid of the extras.......

I think not!

Please tell me otherwise.

What are the other benefits?

thanks

To get rid of the stock apps you do need to root. But rooting itself is pretty simple - if you use unrevoked3, its more or less a 1 click 1 minute process. Rooting only gets tricky when you start flashing roms etc, but if ur happy with the HTC stock rom then this is irrelevant.

Other benefits:

- apps2sd
- ability to flash custom roms
- do other things previously restricted like overclock the processor, do full backups
- basically customize whatever you want.

Upvote 0
Another noob question here... I have debranded using the Teppic method, and have dumped my Orange locked-down ROM in favour of the generic HTC one (2.10.405.2). If I root now using unrevoked3, will I then have to reinstall the ROM, or will the rooting be done "on top" so to speak? If it's a one-minute job, I may have a gander at that...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones