• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Should I Root my HTC Sensation ?

EddyOS, you seem very knowledgeable and helpful! So hopefully you can assist this new HTC Sensation user (first time android and first time poster!).

I live in Asia and my sw version is 1.45.707.1

So far I love the Sensation but hate the battery life. I understand rooting and installing a new ROM (?) should improve that somewhat even if it is not as much of an improvement as buying an alternative beefed up battery. I am thinking of possibly running the Sensation XE ROM

What advise can you give? Making back up, finding software version before rooting etc.

I am not convinced I understand all the instructions on the above website but am willing to have a go if the suggestion is that it is definitely worth it.....

Upvote 0
Must admit, now I'm successfully rooted I'm glad it is. I followed the guide EddyOS linked to, but if you read my recent threads about it, mine wouldn't root properly at first. So I installed the newer su 3.0.6, and then went back into clockwork mod and stuck the old binaries back in there. Once I'd done that it was fine, once I was rooted I was able to change the rom, which then in turn allowed me to change kernels and overclock the cpu, etc. Worth doing, but a bit of a ballache if it's not successful first time round. Thanks to help on here and XDA I got it sorted though, and just a few days ago I knew absolutely nothing about rooting, flashing roms, etc.

So now I have a 1.73ghz sensation running 2.3.5 with sense 3.5. Faster and more stable than the official rom that was on it before I started dabbling.

Upvote 0
I rooted my Sensation XE as a noob a couple of days ago. Followed the guides on here and XDA and it went really smoothly. Phone performs far better, although sense seems to be unstable still (ive discussed this on another post)

As a noob though the guides were still quite confusing and some key terms being used were unfamiliar. One site I found useful for some explanations of the process was this one:

[Updated] Rooting Explained + Top 5 Benefits Of Rooting Your Android Phone

btw - I flashed the Android Revolutionary XE rom. Are there any other roms out there that take advantage of the new XE, or are we still waiting for them to come out?

Upvote 0
The XE is identical to the regular Sensation anyway apart from the software shipped on it and a slightly more capable battery, so there are no extra gains to be had from specific XE roms. The reason the CPU is faster on the XE is because the original sensation's clock speed was reduced from 1.5ghzto 1.2ghz, the CPU's are actually one and the same in both handsets.

Upvote 0
I have the HTC Sensation on Orange. It is currently running version 1.50.61.1 (UK Orange Branded). Is there a ROM available? Really want to root my device, as it has started running really slow with Sense...

UPDATE:

I have just found the following ROM:
http://www.filefactory.com/file/c0a...00U_10.15.9035.02_2_release_228602_signed.exe

I noticed the file name includes: 10.58.9035.00U_10.15.9035.02_2

which is the same as the baseband version on my Sensation. Would that be the correct ROM for my device (if my rooting was to go wrong, or I needed to roll back for warranty)?

Upvote 0
hello there guys. im from the philippines.
i just bought my new htc sensation, lock by my operator.
as i read posts in this forum, im eager on rooting and unlocking it.
i need honest suggestions pls..
1. any comments and suggestions with my sensation.
2. the best rom for it and how to root/unroot and unlock it.
3. is an OTA updates avail here in my country.

here's my fone details:
================
Phone Identity

Model Number
HTC Sensation Z710e

Software Information
Android version

HTC Sense version

Software number

Kernel version
2.6.35.10.-ga76ba0d
htc-kernel@and18-2#1
SMP PREEMPT Wed May 18 14:36:24 ST 2011

Baseband Version
10.43.9007.00U_10.11.9007.19_M

Build Number
1.28.707.2 CL69397 release-keys

Browser version
WbKiy/533.1
=====================
thanks in advance guys....

Upvote 0
Hi,

I have the same software as you and I am wanting to root my phone also. This link isnt working for me though so i wonder if you managed to get the file.

Also have you rooted your phone yet? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

I have the HTC Sensation on Orange. It is currently running version 1.50.61.1 (UK Orange Branded). Is there a ROM available? Really want to root my device, as it has started running really slow with Sense...

UPDATE:

I have just found the following ROM:
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I noticed the file name includes: 10.58.9035.00U_10.15.9035.02_2

which is the same as the baseband version on my Sensation. Would that be the correct ROM for my device (if my rooting was to go wrong, or I needed to roll back for warranty)?

Upvote 0
Hey guys,

this may sound like a dumb-ass question, but I'm going to ask anyway. I have a HTC Sensation on Vodafone Contract, recently updated to ICS. However I'd like to root it, and I was wondering what I'll lose (except for my warranty). Meaning that, would I have to get some details for the 3G to work afterwards or is everything going to be the same, just faster and better? :D

So basically my question is: Would the 3G still work after doing a root, and would it work off of my included web traffic ( I am well aware this sounds like a noobish question, but I'm just making sure I won't pay a huge amount for web traffic afterwards). Also, would I be able to install ANY Market app afterwards? For example, I have an online banking app from my home country, and because I am on a UK Contract Android phone, I'm forbidden from installing it (which I think is stupid, tbh) .

Thanks for the help!

Upvote 0
Only if an RUU of the original ROM is available.

EVERYONE should check to see if an RUU is available for their original ROM before doing ANYTHING like rooting. Otherwise there is no way of getting back to stock and, as such, no way of returning the unit under warranty

To check your existing ROM, go to Settings>About phone>Software information and make a note of the 'Software version'. This is the ROM build and you then need to find an RUU matching that build. If in doubt, post your version and I'll see what I can find

Hi EddyOS,

I'm completely new to this forum - first post. Also new to rooting. I am thinking about rooting my HTC Sensation and know there's lots and lots of guides and information, but I'm getting a bit lost as to which is the best one for my phone and a bit scared if I don't choose the right one, I'll mess my phone up. I saw this post of yours and had a few questions if you don't mind - I don't mind doing the hard work and reading, just want to know best place to turn to.

First some details about my phone:

Network: Vodafone UK
Phone name: HTC Sensation Z710e
Android version: 4.03
HTC Sense version: 3.6
Software number: 3.32.161.11
Kernel version: 3.0.16-ga462f5f
htc-kernal@u18000-build-144#1
Baseband version: 11.69A.3504.00U_11.23.3504.07_M2
Build number: 3.32.161.11 CL346220 release-keys

Based on above details, some questions:

1. What would you recommend as an idiot's guide to rooting?
  2. If my phone is locked, how do I find out and unlock?
  3. Do I need to unlock before I root (am assuming yes)?
  4. Is there an "RUU" (?) available for my phone in case I need/want to put it back to normal build?
  5. What is the best guide for rooting this phone and "unrooting" it, as well as resources?

Well, that's it for now. Hope you can help out a tech unsavvy lass.

wb

Upvote 0
Hi guys, my phone specs are the same as warezbabe and i was wondering (hoping actually) if someone would be able to give me a step by step on how to root, put rom etc on my htc. also do i update to icecream before i root or after and what file/number/code? do i need to save incase i have to revert back for warranty purposes.

Any help that may be forthcoming will be much appreciated

p.s if its locked to voda is unlocking it part of the root or a step i need to take before rooting???

Upvote 0
@ rusty, thanx for the link, i found this while i was waiting for a reply and the page says i should use revolutionary as its easier to use (or something like that). However when i try to generate by unique beta key by putting in my model and boot version i cant because the hboot options to choose from only go up to 18.000 whereas mine is 27.000 so i cant select to download the files needed.

@ warezbabe, hi i am not getting anywhere, when ever i think i am i get directed to a page that makes no sense to me. There should be a "1 Page thread" that encompasses what i need to root and then simple instructions to follow on how to root instead of following links to understand a step and then get myself all confused

Upvote 0
i tried revolution using the 1.18.000 but i think i must have missed a step because i didnt use the pg58img file. it says my phone is rooted but i cant put the rom on that i wanted to, i get some io crc error on the command screen.

at least i have made some progress lol. me and my cousin spent about 7 hours on it yesterday and he got an iphone today and jailbroke it in about 3 minutes.

it would be much simpler if there was 1 page that does it all step by step rather than following links to other pages to complete steps cos that just bamboozles me. i just keep bouncing round 3 or 4 different pages following links to each other

thanx for your patience tho rusty and pointing me in the right direction .... i will succeed lol

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones