1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Should I root or not?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ILoveMyDroid, Jun 21, 2011.

1. ILoveMyDroid

ILoveMyDroid Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 4, 2010
    I used to have a rooted Tbolt but I was encouraged to unroot in hopes of preparing for Gingerbread. Problem being, I don't want to wait for Gingerbread to come and still not have all of the cool sense 3.0-like features such as the new lockscreen etc... If Gingerbread lands soon and we don't get what we hoped for I will root ASAP. secondly, I'm leaving for MI soon and won't get data there (no wifi or good cell) so I have to decide within this week. What should I do? should I root now and try some GB ROMs or should I wait for a clean upgrade to GB?

Update: I won't be online for a while today so send your opinions and I will try and respond to them quickly. thankyou.

Advertisement

2. WormDoes

WormDoes Android Expert
    None

Aug 8, 2010
    Sales
    Massachusetts
    These threads always make me laugh. Rooting is a personal preference, you're taking all the risks and voiding your warranty. I wouldn't let anyone decide something like that for me. That being said, I rooted my TB as soon as AndIRC released the scripts and will continue to root every Android phone I buy as soon as I can.

3. defTwitch

defTwitch Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 5, 2011
    consultant
    east coast...
    If verizon sent out a GB OTA rom today I'd ignore it.

There are GREAT communities working on custom roms, kernels, and dev tools that are VERY powerful. If you enjoy learning about such things and taking the time to tinker with them or at least use how to install them correctly you'll ALWAYS be ahead of any official updates.

You'll have a faster phone that uses less batteries and is customized to look and feel exactly how you want it.

If, however, you aren't one of those people you should immediately return your android phone and get an iphone :p

Seriously though... if you don't have a curiosity for this kind of stuff than ignore it. But it is reasonably safe and can REALLY benefit you if you take the time to do some reading and understand what you're doing.

p.s. ROM below kicks ridiculous amounts of arse.
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1110820

4. scotty85

scotty85 Android Expert
    None

Jul 25, 2010
    well,i can tell you right now that the OTA will have the same sense 2.1 that youre used to seeing. it will not have 3.0,or any cool 3.0 elements.

in fact,the differences between 2.2 and 2.3 that are visual are pretty minimal. while GB is alot smarter and will kill unneeded tasks faster, your phone is not really going to look any different after the OTA.

even with future OS upgrades,dont get your hopes up for sense 3.0. HTC likes to keep the same sense version while updating android versions,so if thats what youre after you might as well root.

ive never understood the logic to "unroot so i can recieve OTAs" unless a person was pressured into rooting,and never truly enjoyed it. if you enjoy ANY of the other benefits of rooting,do it now. you will have the advantage of being able to run AOSP gingerbread roms so you can see how google intended android to look :p,you can run any of the GB sense roms right now if you want and have the 3.0 elements you desire. you can even run the das_bamf "3.0 previews" wich IS sense 3.0 on top of the "bamf-ified" 2.3.4 leak.

^you cant do any of that without bein rooted :eek:

before the OTA hits,more than likely we will get a completely stock GB to flash in recovery,so you can run it exactly as it hits the phones,if you want to.

dont worry,the dev's will keep you one step ahead of the OTAs,you wont miss any.

my 2 cents :)

5. ILoveMyDroid

None

Jan 4, 2010
    I'm more into visual improvements such as the oh-so amazing lockscreen...it's a shame...I guess I'll have to root. The reason why I unrooted was due to the fact that there were no substantial ROM's at the time but now we're looking forward to CM7 hopefully and lots more of Das Bamf

6. scotty85

scotty85 Android Expert
    None

Jul 25, 2010
  7. jscott96

jscott96 Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 25, 2010
    Sr. Network Engineer
    NY
  8. scotty85

scotty85 Android Expert
    None

Jul 25, 2010
  9. ILoveMyDroid

None

Jan 4, 2010
    Update: Rooted in twenty minutes using my mac terminal and the zip files. I flashed DasBAMF and also flashed the new radio for the cell signal fix. I'm contemplating of whether or not I should install the Gingerbread OTA if I come across any even minor issues. (I like the official stuff)

10. scotty85

scotty85 Android Expert
    None

Jul 25, 2010
    if you mean unroot and accept it the official way,as ive said,i would not reccomend that. if you simply mean install a recovery flashable rooted official OTA,then go for it.

i said this in another thread:
    pay particular attention to the part that states that however small,there is a small chance the OTA will not be rootable. to me,any advantage there would be by recieving the OTA the "official" way are many times outweighed by the advantages of remaing rooted and running the stock leaks.

but it is your phone... do what you think is best.

ILoveMyDroid likes this.
  11. ekyle

ekyle Android Expert
    None

Jan 5, 2010
    Male
    Software Engineer
    Central NY

I'm hoping for a stock leak myself. I was looking at some ROMs and they all seem to have their own issues. One thing I don't want to lose is the stock camera. It's so snappy. However, I'dlike to actually get GPS locks so I'm open to any suggestions.