1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Should I root ?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by _0verwrite, Mar 20, 2017.

1. _0verwrite

_0verwrite Lurker
    None

Mar 20, 2017
    Hi all, first time poster and new owner of a T-Mobile LG Aristo M210. I'm worried that if I rooted this phone I would degrade it so that some of the T Mobile services wouldn't be available. For example I once bought an unlocked phone and then used a T Mobile SIM card. Although there was no problem in using the phone and T Mobiles services i was not able to reach 4G-LTE speeds, when I asked customer service they informed me that it was because I didn't have a T Mobile phone which is why I didn't get the advertised speeds. I'm actually hoping someone with this phone has rooted it and can confirm that doing so has not affected any of the network features that came with the phone's original firmware. Thanks in advance ....

Advertisement

Hellyeah12344321 likes this.
  2. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    Rooting won't affect the available bands - it doesn't change the baseband firmware in any way. Your problem with the previous device wasn't root but probably that T-Mobile used a 4G setup which the other device didn't support in the first place.

There are some apps, such as banking apps and some media apps, which won't work on a rooted device, so it does depend on what you use the phone for whether this will be a problem.

Note that I neither have this device nor use T-Mobile, so I cannot provide detailed advice on whether there are specific T-Mobile features/apps which won't work if you are rooted, just that it's not going to stop you using 4G (the example you seemed to be worried about).

3. Fox Mulder

VIP Member

Feb 19, 2012
    NYC
    Rooting and unlocking are two different things. As stated the available band coverage of any particular phone is fixed in the hardware and rooting won't change that.
    Most current unlocked phones made for the US market will support the major carriers, but you can check before purchasing by checking here-
    http://willmyphonework.net/