1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Should I Root?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by MikeMBau, May 28, 2011.

1. MikeMBau

MikeMBau Newbie

I recently purchased my first Android phone, the HTC ThunderBolt. I love it so far, and I have had nothing but great experiences with the device.

I have a few questions about rooting:
    What is rooting, and what are the advantages/disadvantages to rooting?
    I use my phone fairly addictively -apps, web browsing, calling, texting, email, calendar- should I root?
    What is a ROM?
    Why have you rooted your phone?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. rexdog1888

rexdog1888 Android Enthusiast

Root access is like admin access on Windows. It gives programs special permissions. It let's you do things like install roms, tether your phone(w/out paying to), overclock, remove bloatware and much more. Disadvantages:void warranty, can break your phone if you don't know what you're doing or don't follow directions correctly.
    You should decide for yourself is rooting is for you.
    A ROM is "A stock ROM is the version of the phone’s operating system that comes with your phone when you buy it. A custom ROM is a fully standalone version of the OS, including the kernel (which makes everything run), apps, services, etc –everything you need to operate the device, except it’s customized by someone in some way. So what does the "customized" part mean? Since Android is open source, developers are free to take stock ROMs, modify them, strip them of garbage, optimize them, add things, and pretty much do whatever their imagination and skills allow." Don't give me credit for that definition, got it from Android central.

scotty85 likes this.
  3. RandyRucker

RandyRucker Member

I rooted using that auto root method it worked fine with no problems. I wanted to root to use the wireless tether app and remove bloatware. I was also hoping to increase battery life. I left the stock rom on the phone and used titanium to remove the bloatware. The only thing I did that increased the battery life was to DL the LTE on/off app and turn off 4G. It sucks the battery like a rabid leech at a vampire party. I only use 4G now if I need to use wireless tether. To bad they can't make a battery that lets you use the phone as it was designed to be used.

4. DJ_10

DJ_10 Well-Known Member

I do think you should note. You won't get carrier updates. And if you do, it may break root. I have my phone unrooted now. I love the advantages but the downside is the constant need to flash fixes and updates every few days or weeks. By staying stock, i can just enjoy the phone. Now i will be flashing CM7 when it's released but until then im sticking with stock. The TB is not a bad phone that must be rooted. It's an enjoyable experience out of the box. That said, the choice is yours.

5. Ibrick

Ibrick Android Expert

Do some research, there's plenty of good write ups explaining the benefits, the potential risks, what ROM's, kernels, overclocking etc are. Its too much to explain in one post, but all the info is out there and easily accessible.

My personal opinion on it is that I would never purchase a phone that didn't allow me access to the bootloader. My phone runs amazingly smooth and stable, while being 'snappier' and getting better battery life than stock.

Off topic. I was so glad to hear Peter Chou, head of HTC, confirm no future devices will be locked down.Despite how quickly the Tbolt was rooted, it was the most locked down device HTC has released. Newer phones will give access even easier.

6. stanlalee

stanlalee Well-Known Member

#1 Reason to root: Debloat! Take all those crap apps verizon put on that cant be removed otherwise.

Beyond that its just a matter of better performance (optimized/improved apps, kernels, overclocking ect), getting stuff first and ability to theme/customize.

I would go over to XDA in the thunderbolt development forum and read the descriptions of the many available (froyo and CM7 for now) roms. They pretty much list what they've done compared to stock. From the sounds of the way you like to toy with your phone if you root your going to wonder why your waited so long. I did my first root with my eris and now I wont buy a phone until I see its been cracked/rooted with decent rom availability.

ps: have never received an OTA on ANY rooted phone.

7. WormDoes

WormDoes Android Expert

+1.

8. fuzio1963

fuzio1963 Well-Known Member

IMO, you should NOT root your phone, at least, not as of yet. Looks like you have no idea what you even thinking about (rooting), no offense, i was the same way few years ago....;)
    You are "happy" with your TB now, i can see. So, firstly - search, read, learn, etc....there are tons of Forums out there about Android platform. Your time will come, I promise.....eventually. :) but for now,.....you do not need to root your phone, just because all other do.....right? :D Have fun, and good luck.

9. MikeMBau

MikeMBau Newbie

Thanks for all of your feedback.

If I do decide to root, do I need a PC?

10. togethersjg

togethersjg Guest

I've had the same questions for a bit now and I think the advice is just what I was looking for. There may be a time and place but this isn't it.

11. Familyguy1

Familyguy1 Android Enthusiast

If you are brand new to rooting, your best bet would be to hold off and enjoy your phone more for what its worth instead of messing up in the root process and potentially bricking your phone. Root also does break your warranty(not sure if it was mentioned...) I waited a few months before I decided to root my previous phone( Droid eris) and was rewarded at the time with a very simple and effective way of rooting( one that currently is not available yet for TB).

DJ_10 has a good point too. The constant need to keep on looking for updates and new info etc every few days or so can get tiring.

12. scotty85

scotty85 Extreme Android User

yes. there is not really a way you can pull of rooting without a PC.

if you are not a "flashoholic" i can see how this could become tiresome. i personally enjoy it,so it was never a prollem or issue for me. in fact,that was my favorite thing about cm7 on my incredible... having a new nightly to flash every day when i got home :D i hope we get to a point where we get nightlies for the TB :cool:

i love tryin new roms and changin things around on my phone,i very seldom use the same thing for more than a couple days at a time :eek: but we are all different-if you want to just enjoy what your phone does without tweeking and fiddling nothing wrong at all with stayin stock. as has been said,its a great device out of the box,in stock,unrooted form :)

13. lamoglinsgal

lamoglinsgal Android Expert

I just rooted my TB and my number one reason was the reboots since the update. My phone was getting worse and worse with the reboots, and it happened most when I was in the middle of a phone call. I also wanted to debloat and be able to use tether for work if my internet was down/traveling, etc. I don't need to use it enough for the subscription. I used the manual method and I'm glad I did. I was nervous enough, but I was able to successfully root by mine and my husband's TB with zero issues. :D And now I'm more familiar with everything.

I'll also add that since the upgrade to both devices, they are blazing fast! And with the Google data backup (I think that was it) it remembered all of my apps and did the auto install, which was a total time saver -- not to mention memory saver! (Mine, not the phone. LOL!)

14. Familyguy1

Familyguy1 Android Enthusiast

Haha yeah dont get me wrong, I remember when GB hit the Eris before anyone else had it, everyone was amazed and rightfully so, it was awesome to have it at the time when only one other phone had it.

Oh CM7....Yes I remember looking religiously every day if there was a new version or not :p

15. garnto

garnto Android Enthusiast

I realize there have been updates, but there has not been a single update that you had to have.

I rooted,flashed the newest bamf at the time, and haven't done anything else

HTC Thunderbolt Forum

The HTC Thunderbolt release date was March 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 768GB RAM, Snapdragon S2 processor, and 1400mAh battery.

March 2011
Release Date
Reviews