1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Should i switch

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by Nicholas rota, Apr 3, 2016.

1. Nicholas rota

Nicholas rota Member
    None

Aug 8, 2015
    Male
    PRIVATE
    Palo alto california
    okay so I have an iphone 6s 128 gigs and an ipad air. OK so a little less than a year ago i got a samsung galaxy tab s 8.4 inch, and soon it had completely replaced my ipad and I now only use it instead of my ipad. So the samsung galaxy s7 came out and it got me thinking should i switch? I want you guys to tell me
    what i am worried about
    no store to get help like apple store?
    all the apps that i bought on app store
    imessage and texting my friends (who practically all have iphones)
    Battery life?
    so yea tell me pros and cons of switching to samsung galaxy s7 please :D. thanks

Advertisement

2. UBRocked

UBRocked VZW Nexus Please!!!
    None

Jan 31, 2010
    Ohio
    So often, the eco system is the reason to NOT leave the platform you are on. Most times, tablets are media consumption tools and not communication tools. There will be things you miss if you switch. One of those could be imessage. But there are usually so many ways to communicate with people that is isn't a huge deal. It's just about giving up what you are used to. I'm sure you'd be fine either way eventually.

Nyadia1614 likes this.
  3. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations!

Nov 17, 2009
    Male
    I'm retired: every day's a Monday :P
    Manchester, TN
    Also, keep in mind the primary difference between the Apple and Android ecosystems. Apple just WORKS. But if you pick up most any iPhone, it will look and act just like almost any other iPhone. Android, on the other hand, allows you to modify just about every aspect to make it a device uniquely YOURS. It takes more thought and effort, but Android enthusiasts are quick to say it's worth it. That's why there isn't an Android store we can walk into: every single device looks and behaves a little (or a lot) differently.

It all depends on what it is you're looking for in a device.

4. svim

svim Android Expert

Dec 19, 2013
    Illinois
    Your current setup with an iPhone 6s and a Galaxy Tab is probably giving you a pretty good idea about the advantages and disadvantages of both platforms. But regarding your queries:
    1. No, there is no extensive support network in place for Android like what you can get from the chain of Apple Stores. If you do have a problem with your Android device there are in-store repair services at a lot of computer stores.
    2. As far as what apps you have on your iPhone, while there are often be similar apps available in Google Play, whatever you bought from the Apple Store won't be transferable to Google Play. The two are completely separate, there is no compatibility nor exchangeable items.
    3. If you and your closer friends rely exclusively on things like iMessage or FaceTime, once you switch completely to Android you'll most likely be excluding yourself from the mix on a frequent basis. As an example, while iMessage can optionally send SMS texts to an Android user, by default iMessages can only be exchanged between iMessage users so unless those friends also take the extra effort to include you, there is no iMessage app for Android (and Apple has given no indication it will ever allow it). Contrarily, SMS being an open standard, when you're using Android you'll be able to communicate freely with anyone on any platform. In a similar way there's FaceTime, it's a video chat environment limited to Apple users only. Google Hangouts on the other hand, allows you to video chat with Android and/or iOS users.
    4. Can't comment about battery life, don't own neither phone to even make a guess. And really it's such a subjective topic directly related to how you use your phone and how it's been configured -- for any model one owner will say battery life sucks but another will say it's fine.