1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

SHould I take off my screen protector? Hows your evo holding up?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ImaYam, Nov 5, 2010.

1. gabbott

gabbott Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 22, 2010
    Same as mine.

Advertisement

2. BKBitar

BKBitar Member
    None

Jul 11, 2010
    Id leave it on. I had it bare in the beginning, and the screen suprisingly held up. But then I got a nasty little scratch, and regret not using one. Needless to say I've used one ever since

3. blampars

blampars Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 4, 2009
    Michigan
    When I had my Hero, I had a zagg invisible shield on it for a few weeks before I decided I didn't like the feel. I kept it naked after that and it was fine for the whole year no problems.
    Now that I got my EVO, I decided to get a case for it after I noticed a small spot on the screen that I couldn't rub out with my shirt. I went with the otter box commuter case, which comes with a screen protector. the SP is crystal clear, feels just like the glass, and really easy to put on. The case is very slim and feels great in the hand, and the SP adds that extra bit of protection to keep the whole phone secure without taking away from the feel of the phone.
    I've thought about going without anything again, but as someone said earlier. Much easier to replace a SP/Case instead of the screen itself.

4. cookie_monster

cookie_monster Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 28, 2010
    IOWA
    should you take the clear coat off your car?????? you can still works fine runs fun but it can look ugly over time why not have it on there dont you want to sell it later down the road and when you do dont you want it to be in as much as mint condition as possiable so you can get the most $$$ for it and what a screen proctector is a few bucks a new screen is wha alot just leave it on what is it hurting

5. Shawnz

Shawnz Android Enthusiast
    None

May 31, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    If you take it off you'll note a HUGE increase in the finger prints.

I had ghost armor on my phone and I had a corner lift ruining the the protector. So I took it off. From then on the screen would get fingerprints like crazy.

I still don't have a screen protector but now I have a TPU case. So far so good. I'll eventually put another screen protector on.

6. Traceamount

Traceamount Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 8, 2010
    Productions Manager
    Alabama
    I have to agree with Shawnz .... I had mine on for months, from day 1. So I never got used to the feel of it naked. Recently swapped it out due to internal memory problems, and havent put 1 back on, and WOW, sooooo many more fingerprints. Ive thought about putting another one back on, just for the fact of how much cleaner it stays, not so much for scratch protection (havent scratched it, yet!) I am however kinda liking the feel of nekked glass though. 50/50 for me right now

7. aburgthing

aburgthing Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 24, 2010
    District Chief in City of Pgh. paramedic rescue se
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Bought the expensive screen protectors from Sprint made for the Evo a week after I got it on launch day. Still using the same one though it may be time for a refresh. I wouldn't be caught without it and it feels great just like the naked glass. But I do work in outside unpredictable environments so...better safe than sorry. BTW I neglected to put one my Instinct and got a nasty deep scratch across the face of it last year. Will not risk that fate with my Evo.

8. archercc

archercc Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 12, 2010
    Naked since launch and still looks great.

9. Sketchr

Sketchr Android Enthusiast
    None

May 28, 2010
    Male
    Had mine naked since launch and the screen is completely scratch free. I can't stand the look and feel of screen protectors. I'm very careful with it.

10. joeco

joeco Lurker
    None

May 21, 2010
    Indy
    Naked came i into this world and Naked shall i return.

Dezden likes this.
  11. Palmetto Fellow

Palmetto Fellow Android Expert
    None

Sep 24, 2010
    SC
    I'll be keeping a screen protector on mine until the day I (upgrade to EVO 2.0) stop using it.

12. whoodiestyle

whoodiestyle Newbie
    None

Jun 8, 2010
    Had mine nude since release only thing that put a scratch on my glass was a chapstic bottle.... and yet change and screws did nothing to it in my pocket and i dropped it once stupid drunk back shattered off but it was fine

13. brownhornet

brownhornet Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 27, 2010
    IT Tech
    GA
    I have one and im not taking it off.. the minute I do ill scratch it.

14. busyychild

busyychild Newbie
    None

Jun 27, 2010
    go for it. i am personally against them. just take care of your phone. dont let anyone else touch it.

15. overclock

overclock Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 17, 2010
    I use one. Have since day one. I've dropped my phone in between my car seats once. If it weren't for the SP I'm positive I'd have a scratched phone. I carry the phone in the same pocket as my keys. I'm trying to move away from that though. Maybe I'll go without someday but for now it is on.

16. rkkeller

rkkeller Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 25, 2010
    The Dog Pound.
    I bought a pack of 3 screen protectors from Sprint, 1 anti glare and 2 regular.

I first tried the anti glare but all that did was make the screen slightly blurry and not clear so I put on the regular.

I don't know why someone would not use them. They are pretty cheap, offer some protection and don't interfere with the operation of the phone in any way. Its not like a case which would add bulk and you really cant even tell its there if you take your time and put it on right.

17. Palmetto Fellow

Palmetto Fellow Android Expert
    None

Sep 24, 2010
    SC
    Just start carrying your firearm in a IWB holster instead of your pocket. Then you can put the keys and the phone is different pockets.

18. aznmode

aznmode Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 14, 2010
    I prefer to leave something to the imagation, but in the case of my Evo..I like her fully nude. I too had a protector on mine and I was fine with it but after I took it off I was wowed by the difference in clarity and it felt as if it was new again. I did get a slight very hard to see scratch on it a few weeks later. My dumbass left it on my center console and drove too fast on a turn and it fell in between the center console and my seat. I'm surprised it didn't get a huge scratch on it. I normally hold it in my left pocket by itself and so far so good! I have insurance too so I'm not really worried about it. So I say go for it.

19. rkkeller

rkkeller Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 25, 2010
    The Dog Pound.
    I have five dogs and only owned the EVO about three weeks now and its already been on the floor once and a couple close calls. Last night I almost lost the laptop to dogs running around and one snagged the cord.

I have the screen protector but no case "yet" as I dont really want to increase the size of it but might have to.

20. Essex

Essex Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 12, 2010
    Washington, D.C.
    I use a screen protector (Steinheil Ultra Crystal). Put me squarely in the "It's easier to replace a screen protector than the entire screen" camp. When I had the phone naked for the first week or so, I felt like I had to baby the phone to protect it. Now, with the screen protector + Otterbox Commuter case I just use the EVO without worrying about scuffs and scrapes.

No doubt, the phone looks way better naked, but I like the fact that I don't have to worry about scratches and such. That peace-of-mind is valuable to me...

21. SChandler

SChandler Newbie
    None

Ditto! I love my Otterbox Commuter case. Snazziest looking case I've used yet. :)

22. goodboy

goodboy Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 21, 2010
    I too use a Steinheil Ultra Crystal clear screen protector. It's great; The feeling of glass is still there and I can't have it any other way. The only problem is that the screen is TOO good. I had to take in my previous Evo because of 4G issues and was unable to remove the protector :{ . I later remembered that using some scotch tape helps to lift off the screen protector.

23. Stang70Fastback

Stang70Fastback Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 31, 2010
    VT Student
    Haven't read any of this thread other than the OP. I've had my EVO for a few months and all I have is one of those two-piece hard cases. The screen is entirely exposed. The phone has the right front pocket all to itself, but on 4 or 5 occasions I have accidentally put my keys in there too. Screen is absolutely perfect - in fact the whole phone is perfect. Every other day all I do is take the case off (takes about 0.003 seconds) and wipe the whole body and the inside of the case off with a microfiber cloth (takes 30 seconds) to get any crap out that builds up. I could sell the phone as new if I wanted minus just a few teeny tiny scratches on the bottom from crap robbing between the case and the phone. But that's REALLY nitpicking - and I'm a neat freak. The phone still looks BRAND SPANKING NEW. And the feel of glass is far superior to the feel of a screen protector. Just take it off, lol.

24. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Extreme Android User
    None

Jun 27, 2010
    Phones
    Over Yonder
  25. Awful

Awful Member
    None

Aug 11, 2010
    Naked since they released hw003 when I purchased. I can never get them on without bubbles so I said screw it. Not a single scratch, and I've thrown mine in my pocket on top of my keys a couple times:eek:

Tags: