• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Should I trade MyTouch 1.2 for G1?

thor82188

Lurker
Apr 16, 2010
I currently have a MyTouch 1.2... actually came from a Motorola Cliq. I like the MyTouch much better than the Cliq and I'm still within my 14 days to return the phone.

A few questions..

What would be better, a rooted G1 or a vanilla MyTouch 1.2 running 1.6? Better meaning faster.. not just faster going through screens, but running apps as well.

I find that I use Google Maps a lot, and right now run some apps that seem to be a little laggy on my MyTouch, would I see an improvement on a rooted G1?

MyTouch 1.2 is going to get android 2.1 soon, which is what I heard.. so in overall performance what would be faster, MyTouch running 2.1 or rooted G1 running the fastest and stables rom available for it?

I do realize that as far as hardware specs go, the MyTouch 1.2 is a bit better with its 288mb RAM compared to G1's 192mb RAM (please correct me if I'm wrong). I COULD root the mytouch, but the lack of roms for it isn't worth the risk to me. And the 2.1 update coming up is making this decision harder.

I recently broke my G1 (I took it apart to change out keyboard) and well I bent the screen ribbon and hence my new 1.2 Mytouch Fender LE.

I notice a HUGE increase in overall speed with opening apps and just smoothness. I was able to root very easily using the following:
How To: Root The MyTouch 1.2 and Fender MyTouch | The Unlockr

The challenging part was finding a working Micro SD for the Goldcard.

There are a couple of custom roms out. SuperD being the better of them with most everything working. The new Kernal is being decoded so the wifi tether and USB tether do not work. Those are the only 2 that I know of or noticed. I have not ran into many issues and this puppy flies. If I were to put a few big widgets on my G1 it would be bogged down bad, but with this Mytouch almost each of my 5 screens has a bulky widget and its still flying as if they weren't.
Not to mention 2.1 is suppose to be pushed to the new Mytouch 1.2 devices this Spring sometime from Tmobile.

You can find the SuperD mytouch 1.2 ported Rom here:
[ROM][MT3G LE Fender/1.2][PORT] Super D 1.10.3 - xda-developers

Upvote 0
No the G1 has been discountinued per T-mobile. I found out 2 days ago. The touchscreen on my is stuck and will not move at all now that I tried to do a master reboot with T-mobile. I am not happy and not under warranty and i have not had the phone two years until Oct 2010. I cannot purchase anything right now but a prepaid and use my sim card which is not bringing everything over. I can't even get all my numbers to come over. The G1 is having major touchscreen issues. The My Touch Slide is repalcing it June 2.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones