• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Should i update to 2.2 or stay with 2.1???????????

2.2 doesnt really offer alot, but having full flash support on web browsing, is fantastic. I wouldnt use another phone without seeing the web, as its supposed to be now. I have found speed increase minimal, but i do have better battery life, and signal and wi-fi on mine, are improved. 720p video recording is a bit sad , and apps to sd is nice feature to finally have. If you can upgrade , i would say yes !!

Upvote 0
2.2 doesnt really offer alot, but having full flash support on web browsing, is fantastic. I wouldnt use another phone without seeing the web, as its supposed to be now. I have found speed increase minimal, but i do have better battery life, and signal and wi-fi on mine, are improved. 720p video recording is a bit sad , and apps to sd is nice feature to finally have. If you can upgrade , i would say yes !!

but overall you're saying the upgrde is worthwhile?

Upvote 0
I'll chip in:

The move to SD alone makes it worthwhile for me, along with the mobile wifi tethering.

The speed improvements seem to apply to some apps more than others, it really depends on if they support the new JIT compiler.

As pointed out before, when consulting an online forum, issues are going to overrepresented because people seek help here.

You also have to keep in mind that future HTC firmware updates to fix potential issue or add small features are almost certainly going to target the 2.2 android firmware.

Upvote 0
hopefully oranges testing should find these issues and amend :D

as well as adding loads of there sh!t in :(

"Orange are working with HTC to make the 2.2 FroYo update available as soon as possible" actually means "Orange are working with HTC's excellent 2.2 FroYo update to see how much Orange-branded crap we can cram in there and spoil it for everyone"

:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
"Orange are working with HTC to make the 2.2 FroYo update available as soon as possible" actually means "Orange are working with HTC's excellent 2.2 FroYo update to see how much Orange-branded crap we can cram in there and spoil it for everyone"

:rolleyes:

lol..... +1

IMO the only decent thing orange do is the free (if you are on the right contact) Orange Maps

Upvote 0
Thanx for the replies. I guess your right as this is a helpnforum etc. Their are faults in 2.1 etc so nothing is perfect so I might just do it.

One thing thoe..I bought this from a guy on tmob who had a upgrade but he sold it to me...however my orange sim worked in it so I know its unlocked n unbounded so is my update coming from HTC?

Upvote 0
Dont update. There are a few flaws with 2.2 and I'd rather you enjoy as much of the delights 2.1 offers before officially changing when your carrier comes up with an update. I dont think Orange would cram their crap on 2.2 since that would be a real dickmove on their behalf cause Vodafone lost quite a few vulnerable customers for life just because of the 360 update for Desires. Orange are bad enough without such shenanigans but if they played a move like Vodafone, them a dead company foh sure...

And anyway - your not getting much worthy updates in 2.2 that makes it a must get at this stage. I'd advise you to download the official stable release of FroYo when your carrier releases it.

Upvote 0
I like to keep all my stuff up to date. I updated to 2.2 as soon as it was available.

I have experience no problems at all other than having to re-install the voice to text keyboard mod.

My Desire is quicker, I have moved all the apps that can be moved over to the SD card, the feature I had been waiting for without Rooting the phone.

Altogether, I'm happy.

Upvote 0
the only bug i've had is the music one where some artists are not recognised,but they all still play and the extra speed,flash in browsing are more than worth it imo.really flies now and either they've done an apple and changed the signal bar equation or my reception on wifi and mobile net is better

Upvote 0
2.2 advantages:

- faster
- can read vcard from sms
- apps can be moved to card
- flash in browser
- better battery

There is more but isn't the first line enough?

The bad stuff for me:
compass / magnetometer is screwed up and screen rotation could work better, I think they made it a bit too sensitive. Ah and browser double tap is a bit off. I think a future update will fix these minor bugs.

Upvote 0
okay ive updated now!! I tested the internet & it seems very fast.i dont see a huge change but i dont know what this wifi hotspot does? abit confused on what to do with it.

as far as moving apps to sd card, i guess ill have to look into how to do it, didnt even know about it up to now. is that just to save more space on the phone so it performs faster?

Upvote 0
okay ive updated now!! I tested the internet & it seems very fast.i dont see a huge change but i dont know what this wifi hotspot does? abit confused on what to do with it.

as far as moving apps to sd card, i guess ill have to look into how to do it, didnt even know about it up to now. is that just to save more space on the phone so it performs faster?

The hotspot allows you to use your 3G connection to set up a local Wi-fi network for computers and other wifi capable devices to use - like a wireless router.

This way you can share your internet connection wirelessly and with multiple people.

Be warned that this is battery consuming.

Moving applications to the SD card does not improve system speed, but allows you to install more applications as your phones own usable memory is limited.

Upvote 0
I have spoken to 3 different customer service reps at Virgin and all 3 claimed that Virgin wont be rolling out 2.2 to their users and that any update would have to come from HTC

When I pointed out that the 2.1 installed on their phones was a branded version they stuck to their guns and continued to insist that no 2.2 update would be made by Virgin.

Can anyone confirm or deny this suggestion? Surely Virgin wont be the only provider to completely ignore 2.2 for their users?

Anyone else have a Desire on virgin?

Upvote 0
My motivation for changing was to avoid Vodafone's abusive behaviour and I like having the latest tech when I want it.

Initially I was underwhelmed but after a few days I've noticed that wifi reception is significantly better in previously difficult positions like the end of a long garden, browsing speed is faster, full flash 10.1 makes browsing sites with video a pleasure, the radio seems better, the camera is more useable especially being able to turn on the light at will & texting is better. It suits me to turn the phone upside down in a couple of situations. Some apps have gone to sd card freeing up quite a chunk of memory.

Chrometophone - sending links & pages from a computer to the phone is really novel.

HD video is jerky on much movement but I'm going to get a faster memory card; it's not blocky like the utube iphone demos I've seen.

I've had no significant problems (had to reinstall a handful of apps not just use a backup) and gps wasn't coming on but a 30 second fix on here sorted it.

All things considered I think it's well worth the time, even without the Vodafone factor.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones