• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Should i update to Froyo?

zafonic

Android Enthusiast
Mar 31, 2010
England
Reading many of the comments of people upgrading to froyo, i am at this stage rather put off upgrading to froyo.
One thing that concerns me the most is, that some users are experiencing problems with the stock browser being laggy.

I have a sim free Desire from the CPW.

So am i right to hold back and wait for more feedback, as it seems since the update there has been more negativity to froyo than i expected. Or should i take the plunge and update to Froyo now??

Thanks..

My phone was working fine before 2.2.
With all the hupla I couldn't wait to see if there were problems.

Besides losing my APN settings (found them and reinstalled), my biggest problem is with my POP3 mail. If I download to my PC, the POP3 that was in my Inbox on the Desire dissapears - deleted.
Most of it ends up in the trash but some has just dissappeared.

It seems that under 2.2, POP3, and Google Calendar updates as soon as you open the program. It no longer keeps a copy of what it had updated before you exited the program. Gmail seems to work OK as it did before.

This is not a good feature and no one has been able to suggest a solution to the problem.
Email HTC support and waiting for a response.

The really crazy thing about 2.2 is that is seems inconsistent.
Some say the battery is worse - mine is the same, maybe better.

Some say the browser is laggy - mine seems like before.
Haven't done video so can't say.

All in all, while HTC is to be commended on getting this out fast, maybe they should have taken a little longer and gotten all the kinks out first.

Our impatience is to blame as well.

You pay your nickel or pence and you take your chances.

Upvote 0
I was wondering if I should upgrade to the official release (there is an official version on the XDA forum). I have an unlocked Orange rooted Desire using DeFrost ROM with LauncherPro.

What do yo reckon?

I found the default browser slightly more laggy after the update. Nothing major, but I did notice the difference. I use Dolphin HD and that is actually faster now I have 2.2... so not sure what is going on

Reactions: WhiteChristmas
Upvote 0
I found the default browser slightly more laggy after the update. Nothing major, but I did notice the difference. I use Dolphin HD and that is actually faster now I have 2.2... so not sure what is going on

I suppose 720p recording and a flashlight widget. I do miss the ability to select words/numbers in the browser version I'm using. Can you do this in the update?

Upvote 0
I was wondering if I should upgrade to the official release (there is an official version on the XDA forum). I have an unlocked Orange rooted Desire using DeFrost ROM with LauncherPro.

What do yo reckon?

I would stay rooted m8 & get the roms from xda, if you go for the OTA version by unrooting there is no way back.
The devs over at xda will carry on improving the roms they got there so you will be better off remaining rooted.

Reactions: WhiteChristmas
Upvote 0
As mentioned by the poster above (Edit: 2 posts above), people come to forums to complain about problems and try to find resolutions. Only a comparatively small number of regulars stick around. So forums are depressing, pessimistic places. Don't let it bother you. :p

i quite like this forum to be honest. :)

the regulars who offer help are nothing sort of brilliant when it comes to help.

Upvote 0
i quite like this forum to be honest. :)

the regulars who offer help are nothing sort of brilliant when it comes to help.

I loved the forum before the update. I'm slightly disenchanted with it at the moment, the number of people who can't be bothered to spend a few seconds reading the TITLES of the sticky threads is indescribable. Hopefully it'll settle back down soon though.

Upvote 0
obviously i came after the update, but i plan on using these forums for everything android :) friendly community and help is given quickly, just what i need when im on the verge of turning my desire into a paper weight :)

The forums are really quite good. You come on pretty ignorant, then (If you keep up with the sheer number of posts, which is a full time job!) you learn a lot very very fast, and pretty soon you can start helping other people. And the more you read, the more you learn, and the more help you can give. It's the only forum I've been on with such a high information turnover rate. It really is absurd.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones