1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Should I update?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by highjakker, Dec 9, 2013.

1. highjakker

highjakker Android Enthusiast

I just got my GS3 and it's running Android 4.1. I checked to see if it was up to date and it says it is. Should I be wondering about the newer 4.3 version I see everyone posting about? And for the record my phone is not rooted if that matters. Thanks!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)

Id wana be on 4.1.2. Do you plan on ever rooting?

3. highjakker

highjakker Android Enthusiast

not with this phone...if i had the S4 maybe since there's a lot of useless stuff on it.

or should i say "stuff i'd never use" lol

4. Rukbat

Rukbat Extreme Android User

Read the horror stories about the S3 and 4.3 on this and other forums. Then decide how masochistic you are. My choice? I'd turn off data and wifi and not let the word "update" within 10 miles of my S3, until Samsung fixed what they broke.

javamann and highjakker like this.
  5. Stuntman

Stuntman Android Expert

People are more likely to post about what doesn't work than what works. I personally found that 4.3 is better than 4.1.2. The phone is a lot smoother and it fixed some issues I had with 4.1 or 4.1.2.

I did run into some difficulties, but I was able to resolve them. I had to re-pair my BT audio connection as it wasn't auto connecting and playing my music. I also had to delete and reinstall 2 apps (Pulse and Rocket Player) as they were unstable. Pulse was already a little unstable before, so I don't think those issues were with 4.3. What irked me the most was losing the album covers on my music. I had to download them all again.

I did have to fiddle with some things after the update. Now that everything is working well, I do feel it was worth the update. The phone was a lot smoother and overall it better than before.

funkylogik likes this.
  6. Rukbat

Rukbat Extreme Android User

It seems to be an individual thing - some phones become almost useless, others work fine.

7. mydian

mydian Android Expert

I agree. It also seems to depend on the carrier. I've been reading mixed stuff about the Sprint version (which is the one that I would use.) Complaints about poor call quality, slow lock screen response, and WiFi connectivity problems. But then in the same thread where one of those issues is reported other users will say everything works fine. So for now I'm avoiding it until things get sorted.

8. funkylogik

Me, i flash roms and like to be at the bleeding edge because A] im a phone geek and B] i dont NEED my phone for anything important.
    If those two things dont apply then tbh id stick with official 4.1.2 until things are definately straightened out. It really isnt a huge upgrade so i dont understand why some people crave it so much.... actually i do understand because i remember waiting for the 4.1 update before id even rooted but i was disappointed when i did get it and i think 4.3 would disappoint more-so. I dont follow touchwiz much though so i dont know if it adds any features...
    Lol what was my point? I forgot... i think to wait a bit unless you really need/want 4.3 touchwiz on your phone :thumbup:

9. sherlock5545

sherlock5545 Android Expert

I heard Samsung stopped pushing 4.3 due to bugs, so this sounds new. Maybe they're pushing a new fixed 4.3? Who knows ...

10. mydian

mydian Android Expert

That depends on the carrier. To my knowledge Samsung only pulled the update for the international and AT&T versions.

11. funkylogik

Yeah they pulled it on the UK ones anyway and are now pushing a small update "fix" to the people who did update so i take it theyre also pushing a complete "fixed" update too (in UK) ?
    My niece has an s3 so thats the only reason im remotely interested lol. Last time i saw her i told her "dont update" and she doesnt even know/care what an update is/does lol. I dont think we get nagged by the phone so much to take the update here(?)

12. mydian

mydian Android Expert

Before I modified my build.prop to stop the update notification it would bother me every time I unlocked the phone so I can definitely see some people getting fed up and just doing the update.

funkylogik likes this.
  13. sperho

sperho Android Enthusiast

US, AT&T, upgraded by wifi download earlier today. Working flawlessly so far.

Samsung Galaxy S3 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S3 release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.8" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4412 Quad processor, and 2100mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews