• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Should I wait for a Note 10.1 '2015' edition or not ?

I don't think anyone knows exactly what the 2015 edition will be like. With tablets coming out every year, I buy what I want and then trade the next year if I have to.

I am very keen to get the 2014 edition but should I wait for the 2015 edition of the note 10.1 or whatever will be the replacement ? Some talk about a folding version etc ?

Upvote 0
I went ahead and got the 10.1 (2014) edition myself. m3incorp is thinking the way I am. But really I don't see what they can really, really improve on. We seem to have reached the point where capacity outstripes need. I mean 4K resolution is cool and all but there's no content to enjoy with it yet unless you rip your own DVDs or Blue-ray movies.

Upvote 0
Mobile technology is quickly reaching a peak of capability... I mean, once you're computing in real time, faster processors and touch response are trivial. Do you really NEED a 4K UHD screen on a tablet? How often do you want to see actors' pores, really?

Now manufacturers are focusing on functionality: comfortable to hold, correct button and speaker placement, and software/firmware enhancements to set them apart. The S Pen functions on the Note series are extremely useful... and can only improve with future iterations. I imagine the 2015 Note 10.1 (if there will be such a thing) will have new goodies to play with and learn, as well as a few enhancements under the hood.

Our primary decision as consumers will be whether or not those goodies and enhancements warrant the cost and time setting it all up again.

:)

Upvote 0
Agree with all of you. Also the price at release for many of these new tablets are outrageous. I purchased my 2014 refurbished so I got a good deal on it. I'm debating on getting the Note 12.2 as refurbs are all over the place now but trying to justify spending the extra money on just 2" of extra screen. If a 2015 does come out I don't think paying $600 off the bat worth it to me especially when you know by the end of the year refurbs will be on the market for much less.

Upvote 0
I also had asked this question to myself.

After dubbing for a weekend I decided to buy a "normal" 10.1 edition 2014 in black with only 16GB of internal memory for a good price. For a longer while it was hard to get in The Netherlands and when it was offered on Pixmania.com for only 349 euro's (some ~390 dollars) it was not difficult to choose.

I bought it for the screen resolution, S-Pen and multiple window support. With custom ROM's I can increase the life span of this tablet considerably.
But I want to wait a while before I will root it and install custom ROM on it. I really hope that Samsung will make Lollipop available for it...

First impressions is that it is quite fast...is it the combination of Exynos chipset and GPU? Feedly and Chrome browser are quite smooth, clearly better than the Note 4 (with not upgraded firmware though...)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones