• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Should I wait for root

Should you wait for root or ______________???

I don't want to get stuck with a phone that I may not have root access to. It will be another 3 - 4 weeks before I buy a phone, but I don't know if I should look at other devices in the mean time in case the Inc does not get root access.

I know root takes time and I don't want to start a flame war. If the Inc does get root I will be getting this phone over any others out on the market.

Upvote 0
Gotcha... wasn't sure what your "or" was.

Honestly that's a call you'll have to make. The question I think you have to ask is how long you are willing to go w/o root access. Some phones take no time at all, others take months. No way to know until it's finally rooted.

True... Here's to hoping it won't take long.

Upvote 0
You could order it and wait three weeks for it to come. If you really really awnt a phone with root, you can refuse the order at the door if root hasn't come out yet, or use the 30 days to see if it will be rooted before sending it back.

Personally, I don't think not having root is really a deal killer but ehh to each his own i guess.

Upvote 0
I'm a smart guy, been in the computer biz a long time, probably like a lot of you. I admit though that I've only had two smartphones. On the 1st I loaded new ROM often from the get-go, dorked with tons of stuff different ways, and in the end found I never really got anything I was really happy with, all vers had issues. You add two cool things and get one less cool side effect. The 2nd phn is the Inc. It too is not perfect, but damn close. If you really want a different phone because you can't dork with an un-rooted Inc today, it sounds like you like dorking with phones more than actually having and using the phone (warts and all). Don't be impatient. Buy the one you like best and worry about the dorking later. My small smartphone experience sample size as already told me it's no fun living in a house you are rebuilding, so pick one that you feel needs minimal remodeling and then go slowly.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones