1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Should I wait for the Thunderbolt, or buy a Droid X now?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by McNugget93, Jan 28, 2011.

?

Which phone do you think will end up being the better purchase with VZW?

1. Motorola Droid X

7.7%
  2. HTC Thunderbolt

69.2%
  3. Motorola Droid Bionic

30.8%
  1. McNugget93

McNugget93 Newbie
    None

Jan 24, 2011
    I have read all of the specs on phandroid for each phone and they are pretty similar, its just that the Thunderbolt will have 4G and the web browse/talk together. I think thats pretty cool and I wondered what I should do. I really like the Droid X right now and I am thinking about purchasing it, but with the release date of TB so soon, maybe I should wait? My last upgrade will be Feb 16, so I'm hoping the TB will be out by then. I know that my area will not have 4G for some time, but at least when we do get it I will have a phone thats capable of using it, if I get the TB. I will have to sign a two yr contract with either phone, so why not be "stuck" with a new one? but just cause the TB will be newer than the X, does that neccisarily mean better than the X?

Advertisement

2. mrsbelpit

mrsbelpit Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 12, 2010
    I would wait for the Thunderbolt. True multitasking, I don't know how people on CDMA networks live without it.

McNugget93 likes this.
  3. Doctor Hanso

Doctor Hanso Lurker
    None

May 7, 2010
    What about the Incredible 2? I think that is coming out in the spring?

The Bionic also looks pretty good, no 4G though?

4. Guamguy

Guamguy Android Expert
    None

Apr 12, 2010
    The question is really how soon you will need the phone.

There are rumors and rumors of phones. That will never stop. Yeah, mystery pics of a new Incredible have been leaked. Rumors of a Droid X2 too, with dual core. There might also be an upgraded Droid X, since in China, they're already selling a GSM version of it with 1.2GHz CPU.

The question is always whether all these new phones are that much better than the older ones. If any Android phone is at least 1GHz, has plenty of internal memory, which the Droid X does in spades, and has Android 2.2 (upgrade available for older ones but newer batches are shipped with it), the real life differences and benefits of newer phones isn't that big.

But then again, if you want to future proof your two year contract, you might like to keep a close watch. But don't expect all these rumors to materialize in the next month or so. They may only appear in the course of the year and you have to wait. That will be time spent you won't have the enjoyment of a new phone.

McNugget93 likes this.
  5. HustlinDaily

HustlinDaily Android Expert
    None

Apr 6, 2010
    Student
    Sugar Land, TX
    I have one question: Do you live in an LTE market? (or at least a large metropolitan area which has LTE or is expected to get LTE soon).

If the answer is yes, then I'd say try to wait it out to get the Thunderbolt or Bionic. LTE should be a huge upgrade to the slow 3G on Verizon.

Especially since you are eligible for an upgrade on Feb 16th and Thunderbolt is currently rumored for Feb 24th. Not a long time. If you can wait it out, you should. Then play around with both and see which one you like better.

McNugget93 likes this.
  6. HustlinDaily

None

Apr 6, 2010
    Student
    Sugar Land, TX
    Btw if the answer to that question is no, then I'd say get the Droid X.

I hear Verizon might charge a premium for LTE and if you aren't getting it, then no point in paying for it. Especially since specs are fairly similar to the Thunderbolt (unless you care about front-facing camera, Sense v MOTOBLUR tho there are home replacements on the market, or modding).

7. danalingga

danalingga Member
    None

Jan 11, 2011
    Bloggers, Telecommunication Engineer
    I love the motorola droid but if Thunderbolt come with 4G, I may choose Thunderbolt.

8. HustlinDaily

None

Apr 6, 2010
    Student
    Sugar Land, TX
  9. lordofthereef

lordofthereef Android Expert
    None

Nov 11, 2010
    Student
    I think this is the average guy's legitimate worry these days.

10. crazysoccerman14

crazysoccerman14 Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 2, 2009
    Is it possible to root all HTC phones and not possible to root Motorola phones.

I had a droid (stolen) and it was the only motorola phone that could be rooted. All the phones they produced after had a modification to protect the boot loader, IIRC.

Can all HTC phones be rooted? The main reasons I would want to are for the free hotspot capability and overclocking the processor(S).

11. berlee0301

berlee0301 Lurker
    None

Jun 12, 2010
    Changing the world... one Verizon Android at a tim
    Milwaukee, WI
    I work for Verizon, so from the "inside" (as much as they let us in anyway) I would recommend getting a 4G phone at this point. Whether it's the the Thunderbolt or something else that comes later.

4G on Verizon is going to like comparing dial-up and cable modems. Period. PLUS, the ability to be online and in a call at the same time. Also, Verizon originally had said they planned to have the country covered in 4G by 2013 at the latest... while they are currently keeping that the official timeframe, they are on pace to be done by the end of this year.

The other issue is your upgrade... do you have a NE2 credit ($30, $50, $100) coming to you? This will be your last one as they are getting rid of the program. They are also getting rid of the annual upgrades that Primary or Single lines used to be able to use after 12 months. So you truly WILL be "stuck" with your choice unless you plan to purchase a phone at full retail when you decfide you want to upgrade to 4G.

As of now, there is no premium for 4G. Nor has there been anything done to suggest there will be. The $30 unlimited data plan is still in tact and nothing to suggest it will be going aqway. The TB will be here in a few weeks. Personally, if you can wait a few weeks, I'd go with something that won't be already behind the curve by the time you learn all of the things it can do. I know I'd be kicking myself in the a$$ in 6 months if I purchased a 3G phone right now....

McNugget93 likes this.
  12. Left Coast DJ

Left Coast DJ Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 24, 2011
    Southern California
    I'm in the same boat. I'm already eligible for an upgrade from Verizon and I'll be a complete "free agent" on March 5th when my contract ends. I too am considering which phone to buy. Since I'm pretty rough on phones, I usually like to pony up the extra $70 and get a 1 year contract.

The one feature that I want and that existing Droid phones and the Incredible doesn't offer is a front facing camera. I just got hooked on Skype on my PC and would love to have it on my phone too. So I'm trying to decide between Thunderbolt, or Bionic on Verizon, or jumping to a 2-year contract on AT&T for the Atrix (rumored $149 price would be sweet).

McNugget93 likes this.
  13. toomuchgame441

toomuchgame441 Android Expert
    None

Oct 24, 2009
    I would go with the Thunderbolt... might as well get the newer device. Only reason you should go with the X is if u prefer motoblur and don't want to be charged the possible extra for 4G

14. HustlinDaily

None

Apr 6, 2010
    Student
    Sugar Land, TX
  15. Guamguy

Guamguy Android Expert
    None

Apr 12, 2010
    My brain says, you should go with the Thunderbolt if they have it by Feb. 16.

I have a Desire Z with the new HTC Sense interface. Its truly beautiful, a sight to be seen. The Thunderbolt should have this edition of the HTC Sense interface.

On the other hand, in longer term use, in my experience I tend to look past the interface and more into the apps and customization. Once you start customizing, the UI differences begins to matter less as your own personal UI takes being.

I would vote for the Thunderbolt but if you cannot get it before your upgrade period is up, a Droid X is not a bad choice either.

McNugget93 likes this.
  16. RWil85

RWil85 Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 17, 2011
    (apologies in advance for thread-jacking)

I purchased a DX from vzw around Jan 5th - but, then received a replacement a few days ago due to a defective camera button...does that extend my 30 day exchange period to now be 30 days from then??

if so, it seems like you guys would certainly recommend dumping my DX back to vzw for the HTC Thunderbolt if it comes out feb 14th or so? (they'd have to let me do that, right?)

17. Jullia

Jullia Lurker
    None

Feb 4, 2011
    Wait for while as MWC will give you some more option and then you will decide it! I suggest keep your current phone.

18. Stevessvt

Stevessvt Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 28, 2010
    Also, how often are you in a wifi zone? The only time Im not in wifi is while driving, so for the most part, 4G wont matter to me.

19. McNugget93

McNugget93 Newbie
    None

Jan 24, 2011
    Wow thanks guys you have been a big help!! I really think I'm gonna go with the HTC Thunderbolt. Its just a few days away now and I like the front facing camera aspect and the fact that VZW is doing away with the rip-off mail in rebate!! that will make things way cheaper.