1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Should I wait, if not what do I get?

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by acemcdill, Nov 7, 2014.

1. acemcdill

acemcdill Newbie

I am deciding if I should wait for the new generation of android phones to come out before getting a new phone. I am up for an upgrade in a week. Should I wait or get an s5/one/moto x now?

I have a G2 now

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. dequelo

dequelo Well-Known Member

That really depends on your preference. I have the S5 Active and I love it. But I wish I would have waited for the Nexus 6 because I like the size. I also like the Note 4 and its 3GB of RAM. So much to choose from out there, I'd say go in to your carrier's store and get your hands on all of the latest models and make a decision there.

3. bjacks12

bjacks12 Android Expert

The next big thing is always around the corner. If you wait for the best, you'll never stop waiting.

mikedt, Guggy and codesplice like this.
  4. kate

kate Dreaming of Bugdroid.

Hi acemcdill, I moved your thread to the Device Comparisons forum :)

codesplice likes this.
  5. acemcdill

acemcdill Newbie

Personally I'm not a fan of the bigger phones. I do like the S5 active and was considering getting that. Will they get all the software updates for the next two years?

6. dequelo

It will get 5.0, plus any of the patches in the 5.x series.

7. acemcdill

acemcdill Newbie

Is the 4 getting them too? So that means the 5 would get the 6 os also?

8. dequelo

I would think it's fair to say that.

acemcdill likes this.
  9. acemcdill

acemcdill Newbie

Awesome. I think I want to go with the S5 active if I can get it at my local At&t store. Or the regular S5 so I can get a big battery for it

10. dequelo

It's hard to find cases for the active, I would suggest the regular S5. The active ' she'll is very slippery and can easily slide out of your hands without a skin

11. dequelo

Excuse the typos, I'm using my phone.

acemcdill likes this.
  12. acemcdill

acemcdill Newbie

No problem. Thanks for the information. This LG G2 is my first Android, I was all iPhone and wanted to try an android out before getting a new phone so I did a straight trade. Love the Android.

13. dequelo

I have been on android since the nexus 7 came out. I was also on iphone before I got the S5. Android has so much more to offer.

14. acemcdill

acemcdill Newbie

Just having utorrent without a jailbreak is reason enough for me

15. Shocky

Shocky Android Expert

Wait, . the G2 is still a good device, you will probably be disappointed with any upgrades currently. Try a rolling monthly contract for a while.....

16. acemcdill

acemcdill Newbie

So I should wait for the next Galaxy or One?

17. Shocky

Shocky Android Expert

My crystal ball says get snacks and booze because the answer may take a while, I hope that helps.

18. acemcdill

acemcdill Newbie

Already got them

19. mikedt

mikedt 你好

You'll be waiting until about mid 2015 I think.

Do you have any two year contract commitments at the moment?

20. acemcdill

acemcdill Newbie

My contract is up in two days, meaning I could get a new phone on contract in two days.

21. bjacks12

bjacks12 Android Expert

If you dislike larger phones, you may wish to purchase now, as they only seem to be getting larger.

22. dequelo

Big phones will phase out in a couple of years. I can't wait for the bag phone to become popular again!

23. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Well considering the dates, the new Nexus obviously would be out in a few days depending on your location I think. The new One will come out March, the S6 will come out May-ish, the new Sony should come out on March-ish, and Moto just released the MotoX, and the Note4 has also just been released. No idea on the LG timeline, but I think the G4 should be expected around June-ish. So waiting would depend on how long you are willing to wait at this point. Any top of the line phone you get now would likely get upgrades for the next two years, hardware willing. Unless you get the Nexus which would give you more than 2 years for upgrades, again hardware willing.

Don't be put off also by screen sizes. Look at details for the phone size itself. The S5 has like .3inches bigger screen than the S3 but is almost the same size. Same argument for the Note 2, 3, and 4. The Xperia Z3 is bigger than a Note 3 AFAIK, but has smaller screen size for example.

At this point the best phones you can get are the Note 4, Nexus 6, and possibly the MotoX. Everything else will be a step down in terms of pure specs, but the step is too small to really notice anyway. Size is also relative. I remember when I was using a Galaxy S I and thought it was huge, then began to feel it was too small when I got used to it. My advice is, go to a store and get a feel for the phones you are considering. Buying now is also ok, but you may also want to wait for the holiday sales thingies since they're around the corner.

24. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Actually the Note 3 is 5mm longer and 7mm wider than the Xperia Z3.

I'll second the advice to go and try the phones to see how they handle rather than relying on numbers.