• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Should I worry about "Burn In" With the AMOLED?

MercenaryFH

Feb 12, 2011
I know alot of old Galaxy S2 users worried about burn in...but I got this phone literally yesterday (I love it).

But I read alot about Burn-in with AMOLED....I know Blues AMOLED are getting higher lifespans now....but is this something I should worry about?

I don't keep my phone on but the problem is, is that I keep my phone at MAX brightness.....like all the time?

Is this bad?....should I stop doing it?

I just prefer REALLY lightly lit screens.

Interesting question... My brother just got a Note 2, and the new RAZR HD's have a much brighter, more appealing screen IMO. He turned his "bright screen power save" option off, and I've left mine on, and my screen still looks nicer (better whites, more contrast). I'd keep the "power save" option enabled, just to help with screen lifespan. This is seriously a phone I can see keeping for two whole years, so I'm gonna be cautious here (I always use auto backlight, too).

Upvote 0
I had a RAZR since 11-11-2011. Have a Maxx HD now. I have read about burn in....forgot about it. Either I dont have it or its not noticeable in normal, everyday use. I have seen some clips on Youtube of the GS3 and burn in.

I always use 100% brightness. I just dont worry about it anymore.

Upvote 0
I've had a (non-hd) razr maxx for the past ~6 months, and have managed to burn in the screen slightly - I drove about 5000 miles over 5 weeks for work and used it as my nav for most of that time. The dark green bar at the top of the navigation screen now shows up as a different tone than the rest of the display in white screens (ie gmail, google home page) when the screen brightness is low.

Worth mentioning though that there were times during the trip where the phone got really hot (I might've left it running after we arrived a couple times..:dong:), and it would shut off the screen to protect itself from burn in. Anyway, yes, burn-in can happen, but maybe this doesn't count as normal use.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones