1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Should Ice Cream Sandwich be installed on older model smartphones with slower processors?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by Stupified, Aug 30, 2012.

1. Stupified

Stupified Lurker

Ok, with Windows, I follow the logic that computers with older/slower processors work better and faster with older versions of Windows like XP rather than Vista or Win7 or Win8, since those newer OS's demand more system resources to run properly.

Does the same logic apply to Android? Should older model phones with 600 or 832 mhz processors avoid v4.0 ICS?

2. !on

!on Android Expert

I have no idea... it does sound probable, but maybe not by much, as we can still put apps on SD card.

One main reason phones don't get so many updates is because they get discontinued after two or three years. You could say each new phone coming out is a prototype for the next one in line!

3. Nick G

Nick G Member

As a general rule, yes, especially the 632mhz processors. A 832 might be able to handle ICS, but I'd use a 1 ghz as a minimum. Also, your RAM probably won't be high enough.

El Presidente likes this.
  4. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!
    VIP Member

5. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique

Jelly Bean is also ported to the OG Moto Droid:
    Motorola Droid gets Android 4.1 Jelly Bean ROM (unofficial) | Ubergizmo
    Stock 550Mghz processor but I was able to overclock to 1.2Ghz with no problems. RAM, on the other hand. And, in the video, it looks slow as molasses.
    So, I guess my answer is, can it be done? Sure. Should it be done. Nope.
    For anything other than tinkering, unless the device has min. specs for certain features (multitasking is the biggest one, esp. on ICS), I wouldn't want the user to suffer just to be on the latest OS.

6. De@n

De@n Well-Known Member

I'm running JB on my Blade :)

7. Demache

Demache Android Expert

RAM is probably the biggest issue. Newer OS's tend to take advantage of larger amounts of RAM for cache and such that newer phone have and its going to run extremely sluggish. The processor is really only going to struggle when it comes to transition effects and such.

Reminds me of when I put Windows 7 on a 700 mhz Pentium III. Did it work? Yep. Is it something I would want to use everyday? Not by a long shot. Even with the RAM maxed out at 512 MB.

8. ExtremeNerd

ExtremeNerd Android Enthusiast

Should it? Yes, absolutely. Anything with a 1GHz processor should be able to handle it flawlessly. I ran it on my MT4G with zero issues for a daily driver. The 1GHz processor covers most phones made in the past few years. Anything older doesn't give the manufacturer any benefit. Update the G1, Droid, Droid 2, MT3G, and even MT4g? Why? Most customers who bought that on contract are eligible for an upgrade. There is no added value or incentive.

The problem I've heard about with newer phones is re-partitinoing the system storage. Carrier updates are pretty good about not wiping customer's data. With ICS being so much larger than GB, some phones need to be partitioned differently. This poses a higher risk of a brick AND must wipe all data. Most customers wouldn't appreciate that.

There is also the whole argument about buying a junk/obscure device which sells 10k units and expecting an update. From a business perspective, why?

9. rui-no-onna

rui-no-onna Android Enthusiast

The HTC Desire C has a newer Cortex A-5 processor, though, so despite the 600MHz clockspeed, I remember seeing an article where it's faster than a Cortex A-8 1GHz.

The minimum requirements for smooth operation with vanilla ICS is likely Cortex A-8 1GHz and 512MB RAM - basically what the Samsung Nexus S has.