1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Should My Battery Life Be More?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Bruce_205, Oct 14, 2018.

1. Bruce_205

Bruce_205 Member

May 9, 2010
    Male
    Television Director
    Jackson, MS USA
    I think that my S9 (bought in June) is going through power too fast. Its been off the charger for 1 hour 13 minutes with no action (screen off, no calls, etc) and I am down to 95% according to GSAM battery monitor.

The other day I went to a car show outdoors. I started with 100% and the phone shut off with 5% or less after less than 3 hours. The only app being used was the camera (Open Camera app) and gallery. And of course the screen was mostly on. Is 2.5 hours normal in that scenario?

I notice that even when I don't take pictures it still doesn't seem to be as good as my old LG G4 and its supposed to have such a great processor and more efficient.

Advertisement

2. KBU2

KBU2 Android Expert

Apr 17, 2018
    Male
    CommScope grounding cable engineering.
    Massachusetts
    Well if your screen was on in the duration of whatever you was doing and the ambient settings wasn't enabled. Your battery live may been compromised to a certain extent due to the screen brightness settings. Now keep in mind that if your data connection was on it also plays a part in your battery usage if you were in your mobile providers data coverage area. Also the device background usage.

3. Bruce_205

Bruce_205 Member

May 9, 2010
    Male
    Television Director
    Jackson, MS USA
    What is ambient settings on this phone?

I was within AT&T's coverage area and I'm not sure but wifi **may** have been on, I never really took note because I did not use any data during that time. I think screen brightness was on auto but it had to be high to be able to see the settings in the sunlight. I can't tell from GSAM what apps were using power because it combined all CPU usage into one. I used adb later to give GSAM permission to get info from all apps from now on.

4. lvt

lvt Android Expert

Jan 30, 2013
    Male
    Paris <--> Taipei
    You need an app that lets you monitoring your phone's battery usage in details.

I have used Open Camera app on one of my phones. Like most of camera apps, it can eats up to 30% battery an hour, especially in full HD mode.

5. Bruce_205

Bruce_205 Member

May 9, 2010
    Male
    Television Director
    Jackson, MS USA
    So what is the solution for if I go to an event for several hours and I'm going to be using the camera a lot? Is there a good external battery? These new phones with the sealed batteries really put a crimp into using the phone away from a charger all day. I will have to remember to turn off mobile data and wifi when I'm out an about but when using the camera I don't think that will save enough power.