• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Should Palm Drop WebOS for Android?

phandroid

Admin News Bot
Apr 12, 2008
That is the very question being asked by our friends over at Tech Dirt.With the explosion of interest in the Android Operating System and the new influx of Android powered devices could it already be too late for WebOS to catch up? It is not without precedence for Palm to open up their devices [...]

More...

ummmm, NO! WebOS is the ONE good reason to buy the Pre. The screen is too small and the keyboard bites. Although there is the concern with developers putting their time in to WebOs apps, I believe the UNBIASED consensus is that AT THIS STAGE WebOs is a better OS than Android. PERSONALLY, I think it's the other way around. If you took WebOs and put it on all the hardware that Android is on THEN you'd be talkin about somethin!

Upvote 0
WebOS does indeed have a very good interface, but it may as well have four apps. What stood between myself and the purchase of the Pre was lack of apps. Palm could easily make a UI to Android that feels like WebOS, or do some merging. Archos was willing and ready to replace their standard firmware with Android on their Archos 5 because they shared the Linux kernel, and AFAIK WebOS utilizes that kernel as well.

In my humble opinion, even a clean Android would be worthy as a replacement for WebOS because of the ten-thousand-strong application marketplace.

--EDIT--

Hooray for my first post! Meh...

Upvote 0
yeah...Palm can make the UI look the same and make the switch and very few would notice the difference except they'd now have thousands of apps.
The HTML app idea was a mistake.

I wouldn't complain. You make that sound weird or bad. And of course they could put "With Google" in the boot-up splash or something.

HTML app idea? I'm guessing that's like the original iPhone web apps... In that case, Palm FAIL!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones