• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Show off the screen!

GuitarDemon

Apr 17, 2010
Hi everyone. I have the Desire, and I'm loving it so far. Can anyone please tell me the best way to encode video so it looks it's best on the (amazing) screen? I tried a hi-res mp4 movie, but got sound but no picture (not sure what resolution it was in, sorry - I'm at work now and can't access the file. If anyone can let me know the best resolution to recode movies, and best format (eg mp4) I'd be grateful. Do you know of any sample movies I can download to show the screen off to my friends with iPhones? Thank you for your help!

I use Mp4HtcHD from a recommendation on here. It's not the prettiest interface and takes longer to encode than others but it outputs at 480x800 including cropping if required. The file size is nice and small, and the quality is sublime.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=478050

I tried Handbrake and it seems to be good software but overly complex. Great if you want lots of power of course but if, like me, you just want to copy videos from a collection into mp4s suitable for the phone, then you can't go wrong with Mp4HtcHD.

Upvote 0
Thank you for this info - very helpful! Have you seen the videos on YouTube at the launch of the Desire, where they're playing a video of some sort to show off the screen? I would have thought HTC would have a sample video somewhere, as they have sample stock photos on the phone...

Yeah agreed, every phone capable of video I've had before had a sample video on.

Upvote 0
I can recommend Super for encoding video, it's simply brilliant! It does nothing more - or less - than encoding ANY format of video or animation into absolutely any codec and format you can think about, in any resolution, framerate, bitrate and compression you can fathom. You kinda have to know what you're doing, but when you figure it out it's just awesome.

It's absolutely free (as in beer) and the website is a complete wall of text.
You can download it here, I think, you have to jump through a few hoops, weirdly consisting of walls of text about how awesome this piece of software is and how it does all the nerdy stuff. There's a link on the botton of each page that takes you closer to the download link, there's three or so in total. There's no popups though.

Come to think of it, try This link for direct downloads. Might work.

Upvote 0
I use Mp4HtcHD from a recommendation on here. It's not the prettiest interface and takes longer to encode than others but it outputs at 480x800 including cropping if required. The file size is nice and small, and the quality is sublime.

Mp4ForHD v2.9c (Mp4 Video Converter for Hand-held Devices) - xda-developers

I tried Handbrake and it seems to be good software but overly complex. Great if you want lots of power of course but if, like me, you just want to copy videos from a collection into mp4s suitable for the phone, then you can't go wrong with Mp4HtcHD.

This sounds great, bit confused which version I should download though, seems that for the latest version 2.9c i need to be a member of that forum, do you have a direct link at all?

Upvote 0
This sounds great, bit confused which version I should download though, seems that for the latest version 2.9c i need to be a member of that forum, do you have a direct link at all?

I think I may have downloaded from somewhere else as I have v1.8! lol

I'm going to try the 2.9 version and I'll get back to you. The newer versions don't give me anything that I really need TBH:

Version 2.9c:
- Added a new video size 376x240 (IPod Nano 5G)
- Added a new profile: IPod_Nano
- Added Russian language

Version 2.9b:
- A new codec added "XVID avi". With this, you can now convert to avi files (not only mp4 files)
- Now video quality 'very high' is two times Normal Quality (before 1.5 times). It makes max quality is now 1600 kbps (before 999 kbps)
- Support for MOD video files (JVC cams)
- Added a new video size 768x576 (JVC cams)
- Added two new profiles: HD2 (for HTC HD2) and JVC (for JVC cams)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones