• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Show us your Desire Homescreens...

Any idea on this one?

How is it possible to on certain home screens remove or reduce the number of dock icons?

With LauncherPro it's easy - long press a dock icon, select Change Shortcut, and insert a blank space :D You just use as many dock icons as you need.

Can't comment about other launcher apps, I only use LP.

Upvote 0
i have one last question about this as i have everything pretty much how i want it now apart from this.

how do you change the icons of folders? for example i have a folder full of games, stuck with the standard boring folder icon.
i can't figure it out atall
i'm using folder organizer lite if that helps

I have the full version of FolderOrganiser, here's how I do it:

1. Create a Label called "Games"
2. Edit the Label by clicking the drop down arrow.
3. Select a new Icon for the Label (you need Icon Packs from the market, most are free)
4. In FolderOrganiser, go to the Apps tab and browse the list for your games. Edit each game and assign it to the Games label.
5. Long press an empty space on your homescreen and Add Shortcut > Add FolderOrganiser Label
6. Select your Games Label

You will now have an icon on your homescreen, and clicking it will open a folder box containing all your games, just like in the photo. I added my FolderOrganiser 'Games' label to the dock and changed the icon myself.

Upvote 0
When i do that though it affects all the homescreens though?

Yes. The dock is separate from the main Homescreens. In my screenshots above you see the dock has 5 icons. These stay in the same place when I swipe through my 7 homescreens (just like the stock HTC Sense dock). I also have 3 more dock icons that I access by swiping the dock - this moves the dock but the homescreens stay in place.

Reactions: mercurystar999
Upvote 0
I have the full version of FolderOrganiser, here's how I do it:

1. Create a Label called "Games"
2. Edit the Label by clicking the drop down arrow.
3. Select a new Icon for the Label (you need Icon Packs from the market, most are free)
4. In FolderOrganiser, go to the Apps tab and browse the list for your games. Edit each game and assign it to the Games label.
5. Long press an empty space on your homescreen and Add Shortcut > Add FolderOrganiser Label
6. Select your Games Label

You will now have an icon on your homescreen, and clicking it will open a folder box containing all your games, just like in the photo. I added my FolderOrganiser 'Games' label to the dock and changed the icon myself.

worked perfectly, thank you =D

Upvote 0
Okay guys, I'm wondering if this app exsists.

I'm CONSTANTLY changing the look of my phone. Wallpaper, Icons, Layout etc. Depending on what mood I am in.

It's a LONG job to change all the icons I use. Shortcuts, Folders, and Apps. Is there an app out there that memorises bow your phone looks, and lets you save that style. So you can changing it, but then load it without having to manually change everything back.

Kinda like saving a Windows Theme for use again later.

Thanks in advance

Andy.

Upvote 0
Okay guys, I'm wondering if this app exsists.

I'm CONSTANTLY changing the look of my phone. Wallpaper, Icons, Layout etc. Depending on what mood I am in.

It's a LONG job to change all the icons I use. Shortcuts, Folders, and Apps. Is there an app out there that memorises bow your phone looks, and lets you save that style. So you can changing it, but then load it without having to manually change everything back.

Kinda like saving a Windows Theme for use again later.

Thanks in advance

Andy.

The standard HTC Sense Desire has Scenes (Menu > Scenes). You can set up all your current Homescreens and save it from the Scenes menu. Then you can change everything (to a Windows theme, for example) and save it under a different Scene name. You now have 2 Scenes that you can switch between - it saves wallpaper, widget and icon positions and styles, etc.

Using software such as LauncherPro gives you another layout. Open LauncherPro and set up your phone how you like and it stays the same even if you exit and switch to one of the original HTC Sense scenes.

Upvote 0
The standard HTC Sense Desire has Scenes (Menu > Scenes). You can set up all your current Homescreens and save it from the Scenes menu. Then you can change everything (to a Windows theme, for example) and save it under a different Scene name. You now have 2 Scenes that you can switch between - it saves wallpaper, widget and icon positions and styles, etc.

Using software such as LauncherPro gives you another layout. Open LauncherPro and set up your phone how you like and it stays the same even if you exit and switch to one of the original HTC Sense scenes.

Thanks, but what I am after is one that allows you to save differant Launcher Pro styles that you've created, and allow you to reuse them at a later date. Without having to change everything manually.

Basically the same as the HTC Sense Scenes thing, but NOT for HTC Sense, as I dont use it.

Upvote 0
I have searched around a bit but haven't seen mention of it - I was doing something with my phone and usually all six home screens have stuff on them but then suddenly my phone went tilt so I had to turn it iff and on again.

After it started back up and I sorted out the layout that had been messed up, I found an extra home screen, I am sure there used to be six and now there are 7, did I just miss this screen somehow or has the number increased recently?

Upvote 0
Yeah you can use the backup option in LP and just reload stuff as you want it but it doesn't save widgets unfortunately.

But can you have more than one back up? Say I have 4 differant styles/layouts. How can I select one from another using this backup system? When I select backup, it doesn't give me an option of naming, or backup location. So I can only assume one backup overwrites the previous one.

Is this correct? If so, this idea is useless to me.

Sorry.

Andy

Upvote 0
The only way I can see possible at the moment with LP is to make a backup save it to your pc by transferring from sd card, make a fresh 'scene' and make a backup of that and save to pc and repeat as needed....

I know its not ideal but if your really that fussed it will work as you need it too until the developer decides to incorporate this function, if at all.

Mybackup (when I tested the free trial) restored home screen configuration. I assume it would work in LP but havent tried it. You could use this in a similar way to the above I suspect also.

Upvote 0
Well i thought that it was about time i posted my latest homescreens. Im using LauncherPro with 3 homescreens and 3 docks. Using the TallMin Orange Icos created by Lekky (with a couple more that I created)

Home
home.png

Digital Clock widget

Home with Internet folder
homenet.png

Home + 1 with Dock +1
home1dock1.png

Music Mod 4x2 widget
4 direct dial shortcuts with custom icons

Home +1 with Tools folder
home1tools.png

Home +1 with Games folder
home1games.png

Home +1 with Nav folder
home1Nav.png

Home -1 with Dock -1
home-1dock-1.png

Mini Info Widget
3g Watchdog Widget
Juice Defender Ultimate Widget
Ringer Toggle widget, gps toggle widget, bluetooth toggle widget and wifi toggle widget.

Home -1 with Media folder
home-1Media.png

Reactions: Donosta
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones