• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Showing some Droid Love

leftystrat

Dec 14, 2009
leftystrat.blogspot.com
It's almost against human nature, but between the threads about WHEN ARE WE GETTING FROYO, I CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT FLASH, and I WANT THE NEWER NEW PHONE, I wanted to appreciate what I have.

I am a Droid owner. I have no roots, roms, active wallpaper, or rhythmically blinking lights. Today I visited someone in the hospital for hours. She mostly slept so I mostly Droided.

Using one app, I scanned for open wireless. I checked many different email accounts, including Exchange at work. I read RSS feeds. I skimmed newspapers. I visited my favorite websites. I brought my laptop and a modem just in case but only used it as a very expensive charger for the Droid. If I had remembered my headphones, I would have listened to podcasts and maybe some streaming radio.

If I were to complain, it would only be about battery life (and privacy).

Nice going, Motorola/Google/Verizon.

As for battery, us early adopters are benefiting from the following link:

Amazon.com: Used and New: Motorola DROID 1300mah Standard Battery

Get a new battery - LiON batteries seem to have a charge rate of 200-250 times, and if you have ever charged your battery more than once in a day, you've probably reached that limit and your battery is starting to suffer.

I myself bought 2 of the batteries and the following as well:

Amazon.com: NEW OEM Motorola Droid Cliq Battery Charger SPN5564: Cell Phones & Service

To keep one charged all the time and carry it with me to perform a swap out. in the day on those days I ma in an area that I cannot charge the phone.

Upvote 0
It's almost against human nature, but between the threads about WHEN ARE WE GETTING FROYO, I CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT FLASH, and I WANT THE NEWER NEW PHONE, I wanted to appreciate what I have....
Nice going, Motorola/Google/Verizon.
leftystrat - i couldn't agree more. It's amazing how quickly we can begin taking things for granted sometimes. What a truly amazing device, and witnessing all the tech advances we have recently, what an amazing time to be furtunate enough to own a device like this (not that we don't all work plenty hard for the $ to purchase them, etc...). Very refreshing tenor to this thread - thnx.

Upvote 0
Just imagine the love you feel for your phone when you're rooted. When the X was announced as arriving, not once did I consider getting it. I have a phone that is more technologically advanced than just about any other device I've ever owned. Being rooted, I can ramp up the CPU speed so that it's faster than the first desktop computer I bought when I was in college in the mid/late 90s.

I love my Droid as well and I'm going to stick with it for a long, long time.

Upvote 0
Verizon recently switched my Eris (horrible phone) for a Motorola Droid and I LOVE this phone. THey offered me a few other choices, but I decided on this phone because it has been out for a while and still receiving great reviews and still a top seller. Having an external keyboard is something I never thought I would like or use, but I find myself using it far more than I thouht. The phone is fast and I have not had one problem with it. I absolutley love this phone and I have had several smart phones: bb storm 1, bb tour, palm pre, htc imagio and htc eris. The new droid x looks great, but I can't imagine ever switching from this phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones