1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Shutdown PC with phone connected...?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by clunkercar01, Feb 14, 2011.

1. clunkercar01

clunkercar01 Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 14, 2011
    England
    Hi all.

I seem to remember reading that the LG Optimus GT540 should not be connected to a PC via USB as the PC shuts down.

Why?

Anyone read that or know why?

I can understand if it is in the mounted state, but if it just connected to charge - cant I keep it connected to charge up even though I have my PC set to shutdown at a specific time. The power still goes through the USB even when the PC is off so it will still charge.

Any advice or comments greatly appreciated.
    Cheers.

Advertisement

2. xlomo

xlomo Newbie
    None

Jan 8, 2011
    I once forgot my phone connected to the pc wile shutting down and the screen did something weird. it flickered then displayed some static noise. So I wouldn't advice to leave the phone connected, instead use the wall charger , better safe than sorry.

3. Djolle

Djolle Member
    None

Feb 25, 2010
    Computer technician
    Subotica, Serbia
    You guys just need BRAND NEW POWER SUPPLY for your PC. :p

Trust me, I have over 10 years of computer hardware knowledge - working in computers service center.

4. clunkercar01

None

Feb 14, 2011
    England
    So whats the deal Djolle?

You reckon it will be ok for a PC to power down with a phone attched?

Wold appreciate you letting us know what damage can be done as I am sure the thing I read was on the LG website.

Ta.

5. Djolle

Djolle Member
    None

Feb 25, 2010
    Computer technician
    Subotica, Serbia
    That's never happen to me and nobody I know... except, when pc power supply is old (eg. wornout) - if some of usb devices are connected (especially if that specific device need a lot of power - GT540), PSU cannot keep the pace and Motherbord just do off to prevent damage to the system hardware.

Trust me, you need to buy BRAND NEW POWER SUPPLY. :p

p.s.-At night my phone is charging through my PC USB port, while my PC is powered down... completely. Never ever problems occurs.

6. clunkercar01

None

Feb 14, 2011
    England
    Thanks for the reply Djolle,

but I am confused....
    firstly, my PC is running fine and I doubt I need a new PSU - it was merely a question I asked and not a statement of experience.

you say the GT540 will be a specific device that needs alot of power... how so? USB is only 5v no matter what device is connected so I cant see how it requires alot of power. It may require a longer connection time to fully charge but 5v is not going to push any PSU at all - surely?

So, even if the motherboard does just power off for any reason, unless it is a spike in power I cant see how it will damage the phone?

You obviously have experience in these matters and so would appreciate your clarification - especially about the 5v matter.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply Djolle and xlomo - it is appreciated. :)

(EDIT) Thing is tho Djolle, as much as I appreciate your replies, I think you are missing the point. I can see you phone is connected via USB while (as you say) your pc is powered down - but the whole question is what happens if you PC is active and working with phone connected - but then powers down with phone still connected?

7. Djolle

Djolle Member
    None

Feb 25, 2010
    Computer technician
    Subotica, Serbia
    Ahhh... sorry, I missunderstand your question.

Any usb device (eg. flash memory stick, joypad etc.) use aa little power from your PC - so if you connect them directly on your mainbord (at the back of the rig) it is ok b'cause your mainboard is trying to keep steady current of power. But... (always a "but") on the other hand if you connect at the front of your rig, there is a little of electronics doing it... and also that electronic board CAN (and very probably if wornout)... CAN damage your USB device.

Hmmm... I don't know... clear now? :)

8. clunkercar01

None

Feb 14, 2011
    England
    Cheers Djolle,
    That is very useful, I understand what you mean.
    Well, I still am unsure how these problems would surface when powering down the pc if a phone is connected as all the problems you just mentioned I suppose could happen at any time so the risk is constant.
    But until I get a satisfactory solution I will not let my rig power down whilst the phone is connected via USB - for whatever reason.

Thanks again Djolle. :)