• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Shutting down apps?

in2bashun

Oct 13, 2012
Whats the best way or best app for shutting down open apps? :thinking:
I "upgraded" from an iPhone to my current Galaxy s3 smartphone. No regrets, love this phone. However, on the iPhone, all you had to do was double click on the home button, all active apps would show, and you were able to close those apps down, and available memory increased considerably. Any trick like that on the Galaxy s3?

Simply pressing home will take you to the home screen. This app is then ready to be re selected later. I should be in a suspended state.

Some say if you back out of apps it fully exits apps that are still active after pressing home however I have not found any apps where this is the case.

When you long press home, you can see recently opened apps and you can swipe them away to close them. Similarly from this same view is the task manager button where you can force close misbehaving apps.

My recommendation is this.... finished with an app? Press home. That's it. That's all I do. You don't need to free up memory. There's an article about RAM in my signature that you should read

Upvote 0
When you long press home, you can see recently opened apps and you can swipe them away to close them. Similarly from this same view is the task manager button where you can force close misbehaving apps.

Is there any way to assign this function to a widget or another button? I'm not talking about closing the app, just closing the list of pages that I don't want to see. I have nothing really on the phone - any personal stuff has a password. I just don't like a list showing what I've used appear.

Upvote 0
If this is in reply to my post - I don't care about closing the apps or not. I just don't happen to like that long list of recent apps. Can't you stop that list from showing? Can you disable that long press or assign that list of apps elsewhere? Maybe to a key you don't use?

If Android wants those recent apps as history, fine. Put it elsewhere. Use a widget to bring up the pages. If I accidentally hit the home key while scrolling that list appears and hides what I am looking at. I find that that inconvenient. (I have a list that is 920 entries long and another over 1,000)

I'd like to move that whole home key elsewhere.

Upvote 0
Can you disable that long press or assign that list of apps elsewhere?

i think if you get a custom launcher, you can assign the home button longpress to perform a different function. also, how on earth do you "accidentally" hit the home button?? let alone accidentally longpress it? its a physical button for petes sake

Upvote 0
No, it's on screen on the Nexus. I have Apex and ADW launcher (not at the same time - I freeze the unused one with TB) The only physical buttons are volume, and on/off.

Scrolling can be the pits on this phone. Some programs have a gray tab on the right that you can push to scroll. You need to push a tad harder and your finger slips.
Ibird scrolls, and so does XID Weeds. Both have close to 1,000 entries.

If someone knows how to change this with a launcher, I'd appreciate the info.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones