• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Side-loading on an LG phone?

I have a tech-challenged friend who owns a very recent LG phone. The exact model I do not know at present. I know he got it from a Verizon store less than a year ago. I have tried several times to get an account set up for him with Google Play without any success. So here's my question:

I have the APK file I want to load and tried to side load on the phone yesterday by connecting the phone to his desktop computer via a USB cable but had no success. So how can I get this APK onto his phone and run the installation?

I have a tech-challenged friend who owns a very recent LG phone. The exact model I do not know at present. I know he got it from a Verizon store less than a year ago. I have tried several times to get an account set up for him with Google Play without any success. So here's my question:

I have the APK file I want to load and tried to side load on the phone yesterday by connecting the phone to his desktop computer via a USB cable but had no success. So how can I get this APK onto his phone and run the installation?
why did you not have success when you connected the phone to pc? what happened? error? pc does not see the phone? does the phone have a sd card?

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
Try copying the APK file to his Google Drive using a computer browser
https://drive.google.com
Then just use the Google Drive app on his phone to download it. Or whichever other online storage service.
Or send it as an email attachment.
Or if this LG phone has a microSD card, remove it, mount it on a computer, transfer the APK file, and side-load it from the card.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Try copying the APK file to his Google Drive using a computer browser
https://drive.google.com
Then just use the Google Drive app on his phone to download it. Or whichever other online storage service.
Or send it as an email attachment.
Or if this LG phone has a microSD card, remove it, mount it on a computer, transfer the APK file, and side-load it from the card.
Your suggestion assumes he has Google Drive. I've heard the term but don't know exactly what it is and he wouldn't understand what it is if an expert spent an hour explaining it to him. To him, it's a phone and almost nothing else.

It's too big for an e-mail attachment and he doesn't do e-mail on his phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones