1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Sideloading coming to the Inspire :-)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by KBent, May 16, 2011.

1. KBent

KBent Member

According to Engadget sideloading is coming to the Inspire. Possiblly as early as today. I checked for an AT&T update for my phone. Nothing yet.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Simba501

Simba501 Android Enthusiast

Hey guys,

I discovered this a couple of days ago for anyone not wanting to wait on the update.

Best Sideloading - XDA-Developers

It definitely works. I've done it on my Inspire. Doesn't achieve root, but sideloading will be enabled after you follow the steps (no option in settings, just enabled sideloading). It also sticks (the change is permanent, even after reboots [​IMG]).

3. Talderon

Talderon Android Expert

Confirmed here... worked like a charm!! :D

4. Aatos.1

Aatos.1 Android Enthusiast

Thanks Simba :)

5. aristocrat48

aristocrat48 Lurker

Mine appeared on my phone this morning.......tried it with Amazone app store and it works. Also the option now appears in the menu....about accepting from unknown sources. Works great.:)

6. telemore

telemore Newbie

Hmm, would it be from the WiFi HTC updates or the Check for Software Updates?

I've been checking both to no avail...

Thanks!

7. 2manyPHONES

2manyPHONES Android Expert

Same here I keep checking all my inspires like a crack fiend looking for a rock and sadly nothing...

8. thebayisok

thebayisok Newbie

I didnt update mine but I tried to download the amazon app store and I was able to. They added the unknown sources option under applications.

tadcu likes this.
  9. ninja_reject

ninja_reject Android Enthusiast

I tried to check, no update, so I rebooted and checked again. Got a strange message. It said:

Install interrupted.

10. andrewjh07

andrewjh07 Newbie

Are we able to get the swype program thru this way now? Instead of going thru the other channels to get it?

11. philharmonik

philharmonik Newbie

Yes....my wife has the inspire and she desperately wants the Swype...just waiting on this update...so I no longer get the messages saying I cant install because non market apps are not allowed.

12. tadcu

tadcu Lurker

As thebayisok mentioned, you may not need to update anything via "Check for update" or from "HTC Wi-Fi software update". I checked both of those several times including this morning and both always said I am up to date. (BTW, to my knowledge I don't have anything set to automatically update...if it's even possible.)

So, I went to the Amazon app store, followed their instructions, checked my phone's Settings>Applications and found a box to check that says "Unknow sources - Allow installation of non-Market applications". I did so, received a cautionary message which I accepted, then downloaded 3 programs from the Amazon app store - no problems of any kind.

Give it a try.

Cheers.

Silly Rabbit and ninja_reject like this.
  13. telemore

telemore Newbie

"Check for update" Never even stops for me...the wheel spins forever and ever...

14. KBent

KBent Member

I've rebooted the phone. No update yet for me :-(

15. hermdroid

hermdroid Newbie

I just rebooted my phone and had unknown source check box on it. Got amazon app store!!!

16. KBent

KBent Member

I wonder if it matters where you're located. I'm in RI no update yet :-(

17. 2manyPHONES

I'm in TX and the 2 inspires I have with me don't have the update :(

18. tsg9292

tsg9292 Newbie

Im in TX and I didnt need any sort of update. Just checked the settings and my "allow 3rd part apps" checkbox mysteriously appeared.

19. andrewjh07

andrewjh07 Newbie

Where do you go to download non Android market apps?

20. 2manyPHONES

You can try the amazon app store. Or you should be able to get the swype installer from the swype website.

21. Still no check box for me. :(

22. KBent

KBent Member

Me either. It should be under settings-applications, right?

23. Faramir82

Faramir82 Newbie

Nothing under applications for me and no update after reboot or powering the phone off. I'm in VA if that has anything to do with it.

24. deedubbadoo

deedubbadoo Lurker

I installed an update yesterday on my Inspire but I still don't have the option for "Unknown Sources." Does anyone know if the software number changes with the update? I'm just trying to figure out what update I installed yesterday.

25. rmreid

rmreid Android Enthusiast

To check to see if you have the update:
    Go to Settings, Applications, and at the top you should have a line that says "Unkown Sources" Allow installation of non - Market applications and there should be a box to the right which is unchecked, check it to allow installation of non- market apps.
    Once you check it you will get a pop screen that says Attention, click OK if yu want to allow or Cancel at that point and you should be all set ;)

I didn't notice any upgrade notification yesterday :thinking: so I'm not sure if my software version changed or not, but here is my current software version: 1.84.502.11.