1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Sideloading coming to the Inspire :-)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by KBent, May 16, 2011.

1. deedubbadoo

deedubbadoo Lurker

I think I might have just gotten the HSUPA update and not the side-loading update. I don't see unknown sources under "applications." But I too now have the same 1.84.502.11 software version.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. John Redcorn

John Redcorn Android Enthusiast

Like others, I looked in the update section like I did for the hspa update but nothing was there but I do now have the option for unknown app install.

Dumb question since I'm an android newb:If I install something from an apk file can I delete the apk once it's installed? like a cab file on winmo or rpm in redhat.

3. rmreid

rmreid Android Enthusiast

I'm not sure you are going to find it in the update section :thinking: as I stated above I now have the "update" but I didn't go to the software update section to get it, IMO it was pushed/sent to my Inspire without me having to do anything

4. nbaylinson

nbaylinson Lurker

Still nothing in NJ.

5. MisterHijinx

MisterHijinx Lurker

Still nada here in East TX

6. fides7

fides7 Lurker

I checked this morning and "unknown sources" not there. Updates showed none available. I then shutdown and reboot and "unknown sources" still not there. Now all of a sudden "unknown sources" setting is available. My suggestion is to keep checking throughout the day, looks like this setting is being "sent" to phones as we speak. BTW, in TX

7. telemore

telemore Newbie

Just powered my phone down gonna bring it back up and see what's going on.

8. guyweathersby

guyweathersby Newbie

San Diego CA--Not yet.

9. RigelX

RigelX Well-Known Member

I rebooted mine after a battery-pull and it appeared under settings > applications.

Out of curiosity, I noticed I had Fast Boot checked in there. I wonder if that was why it required a battery pull. On power off, does it take a snapshot of the RAM and bring it back up to that condition like putting a PC in sleep mode vs actually powering down?

10. rmreid

rmreid Android Enthusiast

FYI:
    I just read it's an automatic update from AT&T and you won't have to do anything to get it

From AndroidCentral AT&T's Statement
    "In March, we announced our intent to provide AT&T Android customers access to third-party application stores. [story] Future Android devices (including the recently launched Samsung Infuse 4G) [story] will allow users to change their settings in order to access this content. Over the next few weeks, we will also roll-out this capability to existing devices in our base for which an upgrade is possible. Users will not need to take any action as their phone will receive the update automatically"

11. RigelX

RigelX Well-Known Member

Heck of a coincidence that they sent me the update in the 30 secs I had the battery out.

12. Babrook

Babrook Lurker

Nothing in Cleveland, OH yet. Patiently waiting.

13. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

On behalf of all people too lazy to mess with the sideload wonder machine, YYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYY, that is all.

14. telemore

telemore Newbie

I'm not lazy, I just got this a few days so I wanna play with it stock and will probably root the hell out of it in the future.

15. lilme08

lilme08 Newbie

in east texas as well and no update yet

16. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

Myrtle Beach, SC. Neither mine or my GFs has this yet.

17. KBent

KBent Member

Rebooted my phone this morning, nothing. Came home from work did nothing, just checked under settings and unknown sources was there. Yay!!!! Just got the Amazon App store. Now I wish we could go back and get all the free apps we missed out on :-(

I'm in RI and very happy!!!!

18. Lincoln4

Lincoln4 Newbie

Still not here...

19. Seahawks

Seahawks Newbie

arghhhhh still not here in washington

20. Faramir82

Faramir82 Newbie

Still nothing here. This is driving me crazy.

21. Nothing here in AZ yet either. :(

22. aekhhi

aekhhi Well-Known Member

mechanicsburg, pa near harrisburg... no update whatsoever and I check at least 5 times a day... LOL

but I noticed when I go to check AT&T's update for software, it'll be checking and then it'll come up with 'server unavailable' ... anyone know why this is?

23. Seahawks

Seahawks Newbie

Thats it im sick of waiting. I'm either going to get that sideloading thing by downloading that one thing people have been leaving posts about or I'm going to root my phone. lol I don't know anything about root or rooting and I dont know how to go about that but im not waiting any longer.

24. Kuhns787

Kuhns787 Android Enthusiast

Nothing here in Oregon. :)

25. shorepatrol

shorepatrol Newbie

Mine showed up yesterday. my sons hasn't yet. Weird. Swype is going to take some getting
    used to though.