1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Sideloading debunked by htcsource?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by YouGotRedOnYou, Feb 5, 2011.

1. YouGotRedOnYou

YouGotRedOnYou Android Enthusiast

Looks like all is not right in the world of Inspire. Looks like no sideloading on our phone, but it won't sway my purchase. Sucks if true, though.

From htcsource:...Update: as much as we enjoyed showing off the HTC Inspire 4G’s ability to sideload applications, we regret to inform you that the handset will not support this feature when it launches. With the help of Phil from Android Central, we discovered that the demo unit we received is not functioning properly. HTC informed Phil that the Inspire 4G will no be able to sideload application when it’s available at retail and that AT&T has not changed their policy of the subject. Android users who purchase phones from AT&T will still only be able to install applications from the Android market.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Oh well in the end though how many apps need to be sideloaded ? Not enough for me to care

3. _Cody_

_Cody_ Member

Same here

4. YouGotRedOnYou

yeah, personally, I don't really care...but it would be a good feature to have. That being said, i know a lot of people could, or will be, turned off by that. Sorry, peeps.

5. Nah. If they were willing to buy a locked down no side loading hard to rom atrix I don't think that little thing will sway inspire owners

6. Chew

Chew Android Enthusiast

I'm used to using the Wonder Machine for sideloading, so nothing's really changed.

7. Yea if you have to there are ways. The most important is the ability to root and rom if you like and that's easy with the inspire

8. pinbak

pinbak Well-Known Member

I got the wonder machine too for installing, but would've been a cool feature. Oh well!! Still can't wait to get it!!

9. solidkevin

solidkevin Android Enthusiast

This is really annoying, I buy an android phone to have full access and customization, hate that...but no use in complaining.

10. solidkevin

solidkevin Android Enthusiast

Is rooting phones easy? Ive jailbroken iphones, is it just as easy?

11. Depending on the phone and situation, for instance with HTC there is unrEVOked which basically does all the work for you almost a one click root. Same as the galaxy S they have a one click root. Others it takes a few steps, but being that we are getting HTC the rooting and ROM will be easy because unrEVOked has us covered :)

12. MarcMaiden

MarcMaiden Android Enthusiast

I've used android since the original motorola droid came out. Never once did I have to sideload anything.

13. I agree as well whats the worse thing you might not be able to put a beta of swype oh well no big loss

14. Blanco720

Blanco720 Android Enthusiast

if you don't need to sideload anything, what would be the purpose of rooting the phone?

15. Rooting is to have control over everything and if you want to install ROMs etc

16. YouGotRedOnYou

If there is too much bloatware installed on the phone, I'll for sure root just to remove those annoyances. I'm never gonna use them, and don't want space being taken up.

17. Blanco720

so a rom is a compilation of different aspects of other phone builds? would you mind explaining a ROM. I have heard cyanogen, serendipity, ROM Flashing, and I seem to be a bit confused. sorry if I derail the thread.

18. YouGotRedOnYou

Actually, a mini FAQ would be good to have stickied out in these parts. Unfortunately, I'm not the right guy for the job...yet.

19. A rom ia essentially a new build or existing build of the operating system with different features

20. Blanco720

Maybe you should consider writting a really good FAQ for sticky purposes regarding rooting, options, effects, etc. for the betterment of the forum...

21. Maybe if I have some free time later

22. YouGotRedOnYou

No pressure! lol Don't feel like it's on your shoulders, brother! lol

23. Oh ok lol lol

24. MarcMaiden

MarcMaiden Android Enthusiast

Ill be happy to help with this!

maybe i can start a wiki page

some of the members of the captivate section did the same thing for the captivate and it helped many new people

25. Loiselle

Loiselle Well-Known Member

Sounds like a plan! HOP TO IT! :D