• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sideloading Question

TRICKorDEVICE

Mar 4, 2011
Alright...I have come to the opinion that we are in for a very long wait before we get the ability to sideload from Motorola.

That being said I am sick and tired of missing out on the free Amazon apps.

Please tell me (step by step) or direct me to the link for the easiest, most idiot proof, risk free way for me to sideload the Amazon App Store.

Here is what I want to do: I just want the ability to download the store app, so that I can buy the Apps from Amazon. I understand that I probably won't be able to install the "purchased" apps, but I just want to be able to buy the apps so in one, two, three months down the road when ATT and Motorola finally give us sideloading I can then install all the apps I have purchased.

Also if there is a way to enable the "allow unknown apps" check box that would be the best thing. I don't really want to root my phone, so please just give me the easiest, most idiot proof way to sideload.

Thank you in advance.

Alright...I have come to the opinion that we are in for a very long wait before we get the ability to sideload from Motorola.

That being said I am sick and tired of missing out on the free Amazon apps.

Please tell me (step by step) or direct me to the link for the easiest, most idiot proof, risk free way for me to sideload the Amazon App Store.

Here is what I want to do: I just want the ability to download the store app, so that I can buy the Apps from Amazon. I understand that I probably won't be able to install the "purchased" apps, but I just want to be able to buy the apps so in one, two, three months down the road when ATT and Motorola finally give us sideloading I can then install all the apps I have purchased.

Also if there is a way to enable the "allow unknown apps" check box that would be the best thing. I don't really want to root my phone, so please just give me the easiest, most idiot proof way to sideload.

Thank you in advance.

Can I ask why you don't want to root?

Because I can give you a link to a pretty 'idiot proof' guide on how to root and get sideloading.

I was hesitant to root at first since all I really wanted was to sideload but since then I've rooted, installed a ROM, unrooted and then rooted again.

Upvote 0
Can I ask why you don't want to root?

Because I can give you a link to a pretty 'idiot proof' guide on how to root and get sideloading.

I was hesitant to root at first since all I really wanted was to sideload but since then I've rooted, installed a ROM, unrooted and then rooted again.

I suppose I am worried that if I root I will mess the phone up or create an issue that the phone/apps don't work well, whereas it is working great right now. A second issue is that I worry that when the new update does push, if I am rooted it will cause an issue and create a ton of problems.

Thoughts?

Upvote 0
I suppose I am worried that if I root I will mess the phone up or create an issue that the phone/apps don't work well, whereas it is working great right now. A second issue is that I worry that when the new update does push, if I am rooted it will cause an issue and create a ton of problems.

Thoughts?

If you root your phone, you wont mess anything up. When the new update is pushed out, you will most likely lose root access but again, it wont affect your device. Sometimes people think rooting is modifying your phone but in reality your just removing the manufacturer restrictions and opening up the ability to mod.

This second time I've rooted, I've done no mods. I've only used to allow sideloading and have gotten apps online or through Amazon. I also uninstalled the AT&T bloatware.

I haven't had any issues whatsoever with my phone and the apps I had.

Basically, it all comes down to how much your willing to wait. I knew I couldn't wait to have sideloading since I wanted to take advantage of the Amazon app store and get Netflix, so I went that route. If you CAN wait another month or two, then hang in there and 2.3.3 will give us sideloading and Netflix.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones