1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

<sigh> No idea where to turn for A855 hardware help...

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by cranky_dan, Jun 12, 2011.

1. cranky_dan

cranky_dan Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 6, 2009
    TV Production Mgr
    Idaho
    Okay. Last week my droid (with a dec09 date on a sticker inside it) developed the ghost operator problem. Which tranlslates to a funky touchscreen: a @#$% KNOWN issue---thanks moto :mad:!

So, I ordered a replacement screen which got here yesterday. Last night, I filled myself full of howto vids on youtube and went for it. Dammit, the touchscreen is literally all the way in. I was careful. Laid my tools out, laid the parts out in order, blah blah blah. I've hacked hardware many times. the hardest part was *not* touching the front of the display lcd or the back of the touchscreen, which I failed at.

But anyhow... put it all together and NO DISPLAY. !@#$%!! I have since been into the phone 4 times. Still no display. On occasion, I get the leds that illuminate the back/home/menu/search buttons but nothing else. I can tell it's not dead because it vibrates as it boots, and my notification led blinks.

I need help. If I could afford to just replace the phone I would have. I need to make this one work. Can anyone send me to a great hardware forum? Can someone offer me a trick to *really* plugging the display in *absolutely correctly?* Anything. Please.

Google can find a TON of hardware forums, but they all want you to register to find out how to fix 6 year old phones in a different country.

HELP!

Cranky Dan

*now with 200% MORE cranky*

Advertisement

2. cranky_dan

None

Nov 6, 2009
    TV Production Mgr
    Idaho
    Um, nevermind. I dragged out and dusted off an old microscope to make sure I actually had the display ribbon inserted correctly (I had) and have, ah, given up.

Total incursions into the phone=6.

Dan

3. AngryHatter

AngryHatter Android Expert
    None

Jan 21, 2011
    QA Admin
    SoCal
    Sure the ribbon cable is ok?

4. cranky_dan

None

Nov 6, 2009
    TV Production Mgr
    Idaho
    Well, the whole phone had been working fine except for the touchscreen *before* the repair. Unless I needed to be considerably more careful, I don't imagine it just happened to fail coincidentally at that time. Nothing looked wrong with any of the components, and I know I was *very* careful with the cables.

Thanks for the thought, tho, AngryHatter.

Dan

Now rockin' a Samsung Fascinate. :rolleyes: