• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

*sigh* Root frustration...HELP

Cheykenzie

Lurker
Jan 11, 2014
I bought my daughter a Visual Land Prestige 7g. There is a crap ton of stuff on it that a 7 year old just does not need, so I decided to root it...or so I thought. I don't know what else to do. I have tried the simple root tools. I have downloaded and installed adb, and sdk, Nothing I try has worked. I am not a tech whiz, but I'm not a complete moron either. Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated because I HATE to be defeated! Lol! Oh, I'm running windows 8 x64 in case that is relevant.

Hi Cheykenzie welcome to Android Forums. :)

I think you could be defeated by this one. Visual Land are just an importer of budget devices from China, manufacturers unknown("Shenzhen Yindou Electronic"?). There seems to be little or no information for them at all, other than what Visual Land provides ...the Prestige doesn't even have Google services on it, it's got some Chinese app market.

Might want to have a read our forum sticky about tablets like this...
http://androidforums.com/android-lounge/631594-off-brand-phones-tablets-worth-low-cost.html
...in particular the parts about Rooting/Unlocking and Software Set-backs.

Maybe one of the Nabi tablets would be more appropriate for a 7 year old.
nabi - The everything tablet that grows with you

Upvote 0
all that said, i'm assuming it either has a mediatek or rockfish processor. if a rockfish, you might google "finless" for rooting tools.

and there is plenty of youtube vids on rooting mediatek devices. look for mediatek, and not the device name. the problem with most links provided in the vids is that they might be chinese. nonetheless with google translator, and some help for the person doing the vid, you might be able to muddle through.

i've been able to root both a rockfish and a mediatek.

Upvote 0
Thanks everyone for you responses! I will look into the processor type. However, I would like to add that this tablet IS equipped with google. It has gmail, and google play store stock. Everything runs off of your gmail account that you enter when you first set it up. It is the 7G, not the 7L, or 7D which do not have google. Not sure if it makes a difference, or not.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones