1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Sign in help needed

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by clayto3h2, Aug 16, 2017.

1. clayto3h2

clayto3h2 Lurker
    None

Aug 16, 2017
    I cannot sign in to my Google account. I have two factor authentication but neither of my phones receive the CODE, nor does my email account at the address I enter. I suspect the two phone numbers are corrupted (yet again). Online there is a confusing mass of advice, options. troubleshooters but none of it deals with my situation---- it always askes for me to sign in ---- in order to change my sign in details!  It would be laughable if it were not so frustrating.
    Can someone explain how I escape from this endless Catch 22 dilemma?  Please don't ask me to sign in, in oder to sign in.
    My account must be active, otherwise I could not have got here.

Advertisement

et201419 likes this.
  2. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    Why? What has your AndroidForums account got to do with your Google account?

You've not said what system or application you are trying to sign in to, but I take it that you don't have a "trusted" computer (one where you've signed-in previously and told Google to accept future sign-ins from that computer without asking for a code again). That would be the solution for most people.

If all else fails there is always Google's "Account Recovery form". In their FAQ they describe the process as

(I know step 1 says "sign in", but it's just a way of getting to the form - it knows you won't be able to complete the sign-in).

Dannydet likes this.
  3. clayto3h2

clayto3h2 Lurker
    None

Aug 16, 2017
    Thanks for your response. I am glad you added the explanation at the end as it looked like another self-contradictory instruction from Google.
    The explanation regarding what has Google sign-in got to do with this Forum is simply this: when I joined the Forum I was asked to sign-in but when I clicked the link I was signed in automatically, I did not set up an account with name and password for the Forum. How could this be? The only thing I could think of was that my Google account automatically signed me in (as my Windows account does for various things). Is this not so?
    The proceedure for recovering my account seems horrendous (not the first time with Google , I have been close to a breakdown in the past struggeling with Google's tortuous Catch22 procedures)  --- I dont think I can face it again. I can answer hardly any of the  obscure questions anyway. I have a GMail account but dont use it unless I have to.  I was hoping there was a straightforward way to deal with corrupted recovery phone numbers. Maybe I will just have to create another G account and abandon my existing one, alas I do have an archive of files on Drive (but no longer a lifetime of photos because Google lost them all).