• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

"Signal bars" fluctuation when in hand.

According to Open Signal Maps, if I cup both hands around the bottom of the phone (and only then) I get a 6 asu drop in signal (not 3 bars).

I couldn't get there with any single hand hold.
So for example if i hold my phone in landscape mode with both my hands on both sides of the phone i drop around 3 bars of signal. I also drop 3 bars of signal if i were to hold the bottom of the phone with one hand.

Upvote 0
I must be doing wrong. I can't get more than a 3 asu drop in landscape unless I cover up part of the screen and nothing in portrait with one hand.

The app I mentioned is free in the Market. Please confirm your phone isn't tower hopping and let us know your initial and ending signal numbers in asu rather than bars, thanks.

Ok so I downloaded the app and went to the maps tab and in does look like my phone is hopping from one tower to the other but only in between two. Just not that often.

Edit: it only hops when i put my hand over the bottom while holding it in landscape mode

Upvote 0
Interference related to hands varies by how many towers are near you, the position of the phone in 3d space, and the placement of the antenna.

IF you have 1 tower in the area and you move the phone so the screen is facing that tower and cover the back of the phone, that will drop the signal strength on any phone, the 4.3 inch screen blocks most radio signals. In those cases, if you rotate the phone 180 degrees so the back of the tower is facing the phone, you will see only a slight drop in signal.

If you are in a verizon and sprint cross over area that has been miss managed, or you are near a wireless broadcast system, that is using, often illegally, like a PA, you can cup the phones back, which will increase the signal strength.

This will happen with all phones, depending on the tower coverage, phones locations and physical bodies.

However, this is not the same has the iphone 4 problem which was simply shorting out the radio by physical touch.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones