• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Signal goes from solid 4G to no data (gray triangle)

So in theory if rev 10 is bad then it may actually be related to manufacturing date? Correct me if I misunderstand that. That's absolutely absurd if they pushed out a hardware bug like that (if that is the problem) when the previous version was fine. How do you find that info?

No that theory is.out. Just checked this one with the good radio and it is rev 10. :/

Upvote 0
Just power off the phone then once off just hold down power and volume down at the same time. You should see a big green android and the board rev and.stuff at the bottom.

I swear I tried that a thousand times the other day and it didn't work lol...anyway, Rev 9 here even though it's irrelevant to the signal loss issues.

Upvote 0
I swear I tried that a thousand times the other day and it didn't work lol...anyway, Rev 9 here even though it's irrelevant to the signal loss issues.

I tried to register this one and it tells me it is an invalid serial number...

I know I saw at least one other person who said this, too. Very bizarre. Costco said they do NOT sell refurbished phones, they are supposed to all be brand new. So unless they lied and someone else had this phone briefly and registered it already, I don't see how the IMEI is "invalid". :thinking:

Upvote 0
I tried to register this one and it tells me it is an invalid serial number...

I know I saw at least one other person who said this, too. Very bizarre. Costco said they do NOT sell refurbished phones, they are supposed to all be brand new. So unless they lied and someone else had this phone briefly and registered it already, I don't see how the IMEI is "invalid". :thinking:

Probably me you're referring to. I had the same issue and posted about it the other day. And strangely enough when I used the live chat support on Samsung's website and explained the problem, the serial number immediately went through...
I typed it in and let it sit for a while and came back and it worked lol, try asking on their live chat and see if you can get some help if you cant get it straightened out on your own.

Upvote 0
Probably me you're referring to. I had the same issue and posted about it the other day. And strangely enough when I used the live chat support on Samsung's website and explained the problem, the serial number immediately went through...
I typed it in and let it sit for a while and came back and it worked lol, try asking on their live chat and see if you can get some help if you cant get it straightened out on your own.

No such luck...after like 30 minutes of excruciatingly bad chat with someone who either thinks or types slower than molasses in January and he/she tells me the "tool is broken, try again after some time". hahah :/ oh well, I'll try again tomorrow.

Upvote 0
No such luck...after like 30 minutes of excruciatingly bad chat with someone who either thinks or types slower than molasses in January and he/she tells me the "tool is broken, try again after some time". hahah :/ oh well, I'll try again tomorrow.

ARRRRGHHHHHH!!!! :mad::mad::mad:

This one I got yesterday has a nearly perfect screen, but the FREAKING RADIO IS DROPPING. Just like the two before my last one.

This is absurd. So my choices are crappy screen or crappy radio Samsung? Really? Their QC is non-existent.

Upvote 0
Still havent managed to get a replacement but ive had mine on 4G all day. Hadnt dropped data but then a friend sent me an MMS and while trying to download it i lost signal. Atleast you can either have crappy screen OR crappy radio. Ive got both -.-

You know, I think maybe it COULD be software related and related to MMS. Because my two "SILENT RESET START" drops occurred right when I was trying to send an MMS. It was stuck on "sending..." then I deleted it and rebooted. The message happened right after the reboot and it was then that I noticed I had another MMS stuck "sending...". I wonder if it's related? It doesn't happen every time, but the next time an MMS gets stuck, I'm going to check the logs to see if it correlates.

Upvote 0
Yea when I saw the comment on the Google thread (im assuming yours) I had that thought as well. However as far as I remember that was the first time it has happened near an MMS for me, or no more than 2-3 of the incidences. Plus that would raise the issue of why would it not be more widespread. At this point i dont even know. I think hardware which means I would need a replacement but im starting to get sick of trying to get one lol.

Upvote 0
I was having this problem frequently (i.e. grey triangle with no data connection), until I disabled Juice Defender. Haven't had "no data" since I turned JD off.

Based on my limited knowledge, sounds like the 4G system has problems trying to reconnect. Juice Defender disconnects while screen is off, so when you unlock the phone, it's not connected and takes a few minutes to reconnect.

Upvote 0
JuiceDefender made it worse for me but it was not the cause of the problem. Its weird but i can almost count on it happening every morning when I wake up which sort of points me to software or maybe signal? Yesterday I went like 12 hours without a drop but now in the last twelve ive had atleast 5. Pulled the logs (did not have to be rooted) and I had the same "Silent Reset" message. Wish I knew what it was all about.

Upvote 0
I had this issue with my Thunderbolt and figured it was the phone. Dissapointed to see this continue with the Galaxy Nexus. When it's good, it's great, but especially if you work in an ridge area (4g / 3g coverage overlap a bit) and swithc a lot, it causes constant dropouts, which is what happens to me. I will be on the highway and have signal, then no signal, then signal, then no signal. .

Upvote 0
I had this issue with my Thunderbolt and figured it was the phone. Dissapointed to see this continue with the Galaxy Nexus. When it's good, it's great, but especially if you work in an ridge area (4g / 3g coverage overlap a bit) and swithc a lot, it causes constant dropouts, which is what happens to me. I will be on the highway and have signal, then no signal, then signal, then no signal. .

It's not happening as much as you'd think. I think there are just some phones out there with bad radios. The last Nexus I had before this one did this silent reset thing ONCE in 6 days. The only explanation I have is hardware because the 3 phones I had/have that do this are all made on 12/23. The one I had with screen issues but no radio issues was manufactured in mid-November.

Seems to me like they fixed some screen issues but managed to possibly screw up the radio in some of the units they are shipping. But since Samsung won't acknowledge the problem, it'll probably be a mystery forever.

Upvote 0
Nexus seems to be getting flamed for its signal issue at other forums and some of them swear that it's radio hardware issue on nexus, not software. So I looked back at the FCC of CDMA Nexus and found this device antenna layout. Strangely it's hard to find for Rezound. I found the antenna layouts for Nexus and Razr are similar. What do you think of this?

Samsung Galaxy Nexus nabs FCC approval complete with Verizon LTE -- Engadget

Motorola Droid RAZR hits FCC with Verizon LTE, global GSM radio -- Engadget

Upvote 0
It's not happening as much as you'd think. I think there are just some phones out there with bad radios. The last Nexus I had before this one did this silent reset thing ONCE in 6 days. The only explanation I have is hardware because the 3 phones I had/have that do this are all made on 12/23. The one I had with screen issues but no radio issues was manufactured in mid-November.

Seems to me like they fixed some screen issues but managed to possibly screw up the radio in some of the units they are shipping. But since Samsung won't acknowledge the problem, it'll probably be a mystery forever.

I'm just wondering what can go wrong on the radio hardware in bad batches. I think it must be in antenna if at all, as things like radio chips, firmwares are fairly straightforward and tightly controlled. That's why I looked into antenna layout thing in the post above. I couldn't find that for Rezound yet.

Upvote 0
just an update as I said before that since turning on that data while roaming thing I never got the gray triangles.....well scratch that. Today in the office I've been noticing it drop to the gray triangles here and there throughout the day so that data while roaming box did not fix it for me either. Just wanted to provide more accurate data for you all.

Upvote 0
just an update as I said before that since turning on that data while roaming thing I never got the gray triangles.....well scratch that. Today in the office I've been noticing it drop to the gray triangles here and there throughout the day so that data while roaming box did not fix it for me either. Just wanted to provide more accurate data for you all.

Thanks for the info. btw, hlsilver said you can get the radio logcat output without root. If you wanted to check if it's the same thing I'm seeing (just in case you're not losing voice or something), I can walk you through how to do that, just let me know.

Upvote 0
I'm just wondering what can go wrong on the radio hardware in bad batches. I think it must be in antenna if at all, as things like radio chips, firmwares are fairly straightforward and tightly controlled. That's why I looked into antenna layout thing in the post above. I couldn't find that for Rezound yet.

I'm not sure, honestly. I mean, it is still remotely possible that it was all just a huge coincidence or the network issues causing it were happening when I had the other 2 and now this nexus but not the last one, but I guess I'll have to wait and see how it goes over time.

The last one DID do it, but only once. This one did it 3 times yesterday within a 3 hour period, but *knock on wood* has not done it again since after about 22 hours.

Upvote 0
Yea it is possible to view logs without root, however it isn't super effective. Really only helpful if you see that it drops while you're using it and can open the logcat while it's out and see what's going on. Apart from that they only store "X" amount of lines so it's of limited use but does help somewhat. Managed to get Verizon to send me a replacement today so it should come in tomorrow. Hoping for the best with it.

Upvote 0
Yea it is possible to view logs without root, however it isn't super effective. Really only helpful if you see that it drops while you're using it and can open the logcat while it's out and see what's going on. Apart from that they only store "X" amount of lines so it's of limited use but does help somewhat. Managed to get Verizon to send me a replacement today so it should come in tomorrow. Hoping for the best with it.

yes, it's easier with a rooted phone because you can run terminal emulator and have a shell running that runs:

logcat -v time -b radio >> /sdcard/radio.txt

Which will continuously update radio.txt on the sdcard. Then in another terminal window you can grep the file for the message.

Without root if you can run "adb logcat ..." from a PC connected to the phone, it would work to do something similar, but of course you'd have to have the phone plugged into the computer the entire time (or setup adb to use TCP/IP, a whole different subject heh).

Upvote 0
Also does data roaming charge like it says? Mine is off as per default.

I've been charged by driving close to the Mexican border. Just fyi, sorry for off-topic comment. VZW removed the charges. This was about 3-5 years ago.

===

I've seen this strong 4G to grey triangle phenomena happen, although I rarely get 4 bars of 4G, usually 2 bars and sometimes 3. My signal has been pretty stable lately, and usually is when I'm stationary. When driving, the signal is totally erratic. Sometimes it will be completely stable 4G for my whole commute, sometimes dropping to 3G, sometimes going to grey triangle. My gut tells me that the radio is not the best, but it's also phone software issues, but mostly verizon authentication and LTE instability/unreliability issues. My guess is it will get better, but never be completely fixed, except possibly for new phone software/hardware combos in the future.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones