• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Signal Indicator - H in UK

Fluffer

May 19, 2011
Hey, well after reading on this forum and getting some great responses to previously posted questions, I got my gorgeous Galaxy S2 and am loving it!! I've downloaded the full user manual to find out what the H signal indicator stands for but it isn't listed.

I think its for HSDPA network when 3G isn't available but I don't know which is the quickest or best signal for data? Does anyone know about this?

While we are on the topic of signal strength. I am with T-Mobile (UK) and while sitting at my desk at work I usually have G which is obviously very slow but occasionally it will switch to H. Is there anything I can do to ensure that I have the H signal at all times?

3g signal boosters maybe?

I'm with orange(uk) and I nearly always get H or 3g even when in transit which is cool. I must say orange coverage is a lot better then most people have experienced in the past.

Upvote 0
3g signal boosters maybe?

I'm with orange(uk) and I nearly always get H or 3g even when in transit which is cool. I must say orange coverage is a lot better then most people have experienced in the past.

Excuse my ignorance but what is a 3g signal booster?

Slug - It is when I am trying to surf the internet that I usually have the G displayed which is very slow. However when H is displayed it is blisteringly fast. The annoying thing is that I get G much more than I get H.

Upvote 0
Excuse my ignorance but what is a 3g signal booster?

Slug - It is when I am trying to surf the internet that I usually have the G displayed which is very slow. However when H is displayed it is blisteringly fast. The annoying thing is that I get G much more than I get H.

I get usually H, but Cyprus is not famous for fast serfing and usually it is so slow the speed. I would say it depends completely of the provider (Voda or others) because the phone is fully equipped.

Upvote 0
H is not ment to show up all the time.

G or 3g are displayed to show that your in that area of coverage

If you see H flash up for a second or two, it's probably because a widget or email is updating and downloading a quick burst of data

As I said before, your phone will automaticly switch to H speeds if available and if g or 3g is under heavy load, otherwise only g or 3g is displayed, again, just to inform you that your in a comparable area.

Upvote 0
While Sidcup is not directly next to London I would have liked to have thought that the Signal would be quite strong and yet it is weaker than when I'm out in the countryside at my girlfriends house. I may contact T-Mobile and have a chat to them about it, I remember reading that there is a different kind of Simcard available for Smartphones, what truth there is in that i'm not sure.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones