• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Signal Issues on FroYo?

slugger09

Jul 20, 2010
Northern Ireland
Does anyone else have this issue? My signal now seems all over the shop, 90% of the time I don't seem to have any, and one min you could have 4 bars the next min zero, making calls is almost impossible but in saying that text messages come through ok.

And another issue I have noticed is over heating when using sat nav, anyone else have this?

Could it be you are on the border of a very weak 3G signal?. Mine does this when I'm at work so unless I set GSM (2G) only my phone spends all day flicking between a poor (0-1bar) 3G signal and a very good (4 bar) 2G signal. It's rock solid when at home, better then my TouchHD on Orange for 3G. If you are on 2G and using data then this will more than likely cause you not to be able to receive calls as 2G can't do both simultaneously (Network Technology limitation not phone).

Not had the phone overheat when using GPS although it does get quite warm after a while. Don't suppose its in you car windscreen with the sun shining on it is it? I have mine on a vent mount with the AC keeping it cool.

Upvote 0
Yes, I had exactly the same problems when I upgraded to 2.2. My signal was very erratic after updating.

I also had the same issue with the Sat Nav... I first noticed it when I drove down south for a couple of hours and after the first hour of the journey the device announced 'Satellite signal lost'. At first I thought it was one of those things and that it would return shortly, however, it never did :(. Furthermore, I also noticed that it had taken the cell signal with it! When I checked the back of the device it was pretty hot and instantly figured that it was overheating.

Sure enough after half an hour on standby it all came back to life again, but on our return journey it did the same thing after only half an hour or so.

At this point I was pretty disheartened and thought that I was going to have to return it, but, having flashed phone ROMs in the past I know that it's usually a good idea to hard reset a couple of times after flashing so that the EPROM is reprogrammed correctly. I did this (despite the ball ache of having to reconfigure everything!) and instantly noticed some subtle differences (like Facebook app had changed slightly etc). Since this the radio signal seems to be better, although it is still a little erratic compared to 2.1. It also seems to have cured the SatNav signal drop out/overheating as I have done a couple of 4 hour + trips and although it did drop on one occasion very briefly, it seems to have resolved it. Having said this, the unit still gets pretty warm and I personally believe that this handset has a design fault with regard to overheating (why didn't they make the back out of metal like the Legend which would act as a heat sink?).

One more thing to throw in the pot is that prior to my hard reset I was using 'Advanced Task Killer' and I had my suspicions that this may have been causing some resource issues and contributing to the overheating. As I have not reinstalled it since I could not say for sure, but there certainly seems to be a lot of controversy about whether it's a good idea to use it...

Hope this helps,

G

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones