1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Signal Strength

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by kklier, Dec 15, 2011.

1. yawdapaah

yawdapaah Android Expert

Agreed. AnandTech should be required reading for most people in this forum. Comparing the GNex to the TB... lol.

Premium1 likes this.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. kklier

kklier Member

I read the AnandTech article this morning. I cannot discount the findings in the article, but I do not think the author is not able to address all the issues. Since getting the Nexus I've had two calls that I could not complete since the receiving end could no longer hear me. I called back on my wife's Razr without issue. In my office I can get a 4G signal with the Razr, but with the Nexus 4G is non-existent. If I step outside it is fine.

There is more at issue than what is described in the AnandTech article I believe.

jroc likes this.
  3. kklier

kklier Member

How about the ability to receive a 4G signal at all in known areas where 4G exists?

4. wtherrell

wtherrell Android Enthusiast

Ok. Just for sake of argument let's say it is just a question of displaying different information. Do a speed test between two LTE phones at same location and see how that turns out. And don't tell me Speedtest only reports the 3g on the older phones. This difference in speeds proves that the problem is with the 4g radio or software in the Gnex and not just how the signal is reported.

5. kl68

kl68 Member

So frustrating, forget about 4G I can't even receive strong/reliable 3G signal in my office when my OG Droid was able to. Can't even make a call without it dropping. Went to lunch with some co-workers and barely had 3G signal (-100dBm) when one of my co-workers who is using a GSII on Sprint had a strong signal. My other co-worker who is on Tmobile also had plenty of signal. Here I am showing them my awesome new phone that can't even pick up a signal. So what do I show them instead? I showed how cool it is that I can organize my apps into folders.

Updates better come out before my 14 day return policy is up!!!

6. jkc120

jkc120 Android Expert

Actually, you have until 1/15 to return it due to the holiday return policy :) So give it some more time...

7. Blue218

Blue218 Android Enthusiast

I came to the Nexus from a Charge and the Charge had crummy signal which was greatly improved by an update ( to 2.3) I hope this will be the same for the Nexus. I also understand that Verizon is doing something with the 4G towers in my area (NM) and I hope that the combination of these will work themselves out and I will get a great signal.....but the last time "hope and change".........lol forget it.

8. zenit

zenit Newbie

Tested the gnex in spots where my thunderbolt and charge were marginal. The gnex was not any better or worse, just displayed no bars.

Have not had a dropped call yet. Overall the reception is very much acceptable where i live.

9. Sandroidfan likes this.
  10. William T Riker

William T Riker Android Enthusiast

If you are having signal issues and have CWM or can do it through fastboot, I highly recommend flashing the EK 06 /04 radio, working better than the old one for me

11. kcs7272

kcs7272 Android Expert

I have no idea how to root or flash :( hopefully an update will be pushed out soon

12. Trooper

Trooper Android Expert

I would take the time to learn if I were you. This device has poor signal and reception issues. One of the reasons I passed on it and I am so glad that I did.

Plenty of folks here to help you out man. But, I would wait and maybe look to flash this. ;)

|ROM| ZYGOT3 1.3 | |12/14/2011| TK .4 CFS |12/20/2011| - Th3oryRom

Just sayin. Good luck man!

13. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead

I returned my phone today due a microphone problem (the mic on my phone would cut off mid call and people could no longer hear me) and the new Nexus that I received is a whole lot better on signal. I haven't dropped from 4G to 3G a single time since this one was activated today.

jroc likes this.
  14. Slayer01

Slayer01 Member

How our your speed test at home now?

15. OfTheDamned

Old Nexus was at 6-7 Mbps down.
    New Nexus is at 17-20 Mbps down.

Even Wifi is faster.

BTW, that is better than the Rezound I had.

Sandroidfan likes this.
  16. Slayer01

Slayer01 Member

Thanks I hope that's the case with my phone because I live in a strong 4g area and can only get 10 mg down if I'm lucky.

17. OfTheDamned

You may want to try forcing speed test to a different server. I noticed the other day that there is one server it will connect to that will always Max out at 3 Mbps down. It doesn't matter if I am on the computer, phone, wifi, 4g, etc. it will always Max out at 3 or 3.5.

18. Slayer01

Slayer01 Member

Yeah, I have got different servers and same thing happens; but thanks for the try.

19. Blue218

Blue218 Android Enthusiast

I just got mine set up how I want it and now I might have to exchange it in order to actually get a decent 4G signal.......ug

20. BlueBiker

BlueBiker Android Expert

Congrats OTD, glad you got a winner there! Surprised there was so much variation in the model though. :thinking:

OfTheDamned likes this.
  21. qualm

qualm Newbie

Really? So it varies from phone to phone?

22. jpatrick18

jpatrick18 Member

This is probably just a coincidence but has anyone else's signal strength gone up dramatically since the network went back up this morning? I barely got 4G at work (Tampa) before and now at least for the past hour I've had a very strong signal.

23. jkc120

jkc120 Android Expert

So do we all have a crappy bad first batch of the Nexus? Should we go exchange ours? Unfortunately I'm in a part of PA visiting with no 4G so I can't say for sure if my speeds are "bad" or not.

Is there any way to identify which batch our phones were part of? Perhaps with the (partial) serial number? Do you have any other issues with this replacement device (screen banding or speaker popping, etc)?

Just trying to determine if there's a way we can tell by looking at the serial # or other "about phone" settings to determine if the one we are given in the store is a "good" one or not...

What a fiasco...I can't believe how bad the QC is on these phones if there are major signal/screen/speaker problems and you have to play nexus roulette when you go into the store and pray you get one without any of the defects. :rolleyes:

24. jkc120

jkc120 Android Expert

Well if you're feeling adventurous, you can unlock the bootloader, root it, install clockworkmod recovery, then do a nandroid backup. You should be able to restore that to the phone you get as a replacement (after you unlock/root/cwmr again heh).

I agree with BlueBiker, how can there be so much variance from phone to phone?! Could this be a coincidence with the 4G outage as jpatrick18 surmised?

25. Sandroidfan

Sandroidfan Android Expert

I was wondering on possibility of bad first batch when I saw OTD's post on better second Gnex. But I wonder if it has to do with Verizon doing something with 4G towers recently. Yesterday several other owners reported significantly better reception all of sudden. I don't know.

If anandtech article is true, lower dBm than other phone is not much concern and when others get ICS they will be on similar dBm level I guess. I think data dropping on Gnex for some folks is bug in authentication that can be fixed with software update.

Galaxy Nexus Forum

The Galaxy Nexus release date was November 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.65" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, TI OMAP 4460 processor, and 1750mAh battery.

November 2011
Release Date
Reviews