1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Signal Strength

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by kklier, Dec 15, 2011.

1. rockokma

rockokma Well-Known Member

Maybe not...

Attached Files:

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. jkc120

jkc120 Android Expert

Maybe not? As in, your results are from a replacement phone?

3. cosmosan

cosmosan Member

I think he means "maybe not a coincidence." If you check his speedtest.net dl speeds, they've suddenly increased to >25mbps for his recent runs this morning.

4. jkc120

jkc120 Android Expert

Ahh ok, gotcha. Well that's promising!

5. rockokma

Correct.

Edit: And this IS all in the same location.

Can't wait to get home and see if 4G stops dropping in and out. High hopes and let downs await.

6. mozygirl

mozygirl Newbie

Yes, I went from barely getting 2 bars, now have 3 bars. This is a first and happened just after having network issues this morning!

7. bogaski

bogaski Newbie

I noticed better reception reported. However, this might just be anecdotal as I did not track it before and after nor did I check from multiple locations.

8. kklier

kklier Member

9. kklier

kklier Member

I hope it is that simple.

10. kl68

kl68 Member

No improvement for me either, only getting 1-2 bars of 3G (-100dBm 1asu) and sometimes it would switch to 1 bar of 4G. Getting 0.07Mbps DL / 0.14Mbps UL on speedtest.net, sometimes can't even get a connection to perform the test and getting "network communication issues".

11. I'm returning my phone today for the rezound. I like everything about the phone besides its reception, but I cannot keep a phone that fails when I need it.

12. Hoos

Hoos Member

I'd been following everyone's reviews/feedback here and strongly considering the Nexus. But, if this story from Computerworld is accurate, the phone is now out of my consideration. While I understand the differences as mentioned in the previously cited report, there does seem to be a problem with reception that is different than dBM or number of bars. The radio problems would be an issue for me.

jroc likes this.
  13. Mikey P

Mikey P Well-Known Member

After the network problems from this morning,I am now getting full bars at my desk where I have been typically getting only 2 bars. My speed test seems to be about the same.

14. jkc120

jkc120 Android Expert

As I'm driving between my folks' house and my inlaws', I noticed my 3G signal showed zero bars. I'm in a 3G-only area. My wife's iPhone 4 had 4 out of 5 bars.

Is my nexus showing zero bars for 3G or 4G? data connection DID seem to die briefly. I'm guessing it's the 3G connection indicator or I'd have 0 bars constantly in my parents' house.

If accurate, the signal on this is pathetic. 4 bars on iPhone vs. 0 on the nexus :(

15. eddieruko

eddieruko Well-Known Member

all this tells me is that they are going to change the algorithm that translates signal to # of bars. i'm assuming the anandtech article has been floating around, but two phones with the same exact signal and radios are clearly showing a different number of bars.

even tho i'm not getting the best signal here at work, i will say that i'm getting page load times on par with my OG. granted, two different phones on two different levels, but i'm cooped up in a dungeon of a building, so phone signal is poor regardless. that said, it's not preventing me from sending/receiving data or completing tasks in a reasonable amount of time.

unless you're seeing completely erratic data disconnections, or obvious speed drops, i wouldn't call this a cause for concern. the phone has yet to be out for a week. for many people this is the first 4g phone (mine included).

the rezound's a great phone. but i wouldn't return the GNex for it.

jroc likes this.
  16. rushmore

rushmore Extreme Android User

That sounds like BS as far as a fix. All they are saying is the bars will correlate with dBm better. This will not improve reception.

Seems they are trying to candy coat the issue, rather than admit there is an issue.

If they fix it cool, but have seen enough with sad fellow geeks who get 3g or 1X where I get 4G. There appears to be a reception issue with the Gnex and it is not just an interpretation issue of the signal.

Then again, maybe there is not a problem and the Nexus simply has weaker radio design than some other phones, so Samsung/Google are playing a semantics game.

jroc and Trooper like this.
  17. jkc120

jkc120 Android Expert

If it's a real issue and they are going to cover it up with a bogus patch to the signal bars like apple did, then shame on them. Borderline illegal wouldn't it be?

18. Trooper

Trooper Android Expert

I cant speak for him but but I will still say this.

Samsung has weak radios, that is all.

Nice fix that VZW is going to be pushing to the phones. Something to skew the results. Yeah, nice fix big red.

jroc likes this.
  19. jkc120

jkc120 Android Expert

I noticed outside my in-laws' house I had 2 bars of 4G. Five feet inside the house (it IS an older house, but still) my signal drops to 2-3 bars of 3G. :(

What is the point of 4G if you can only use it outside?!?

20. Sandroidfan

Sandroidfan Android Expert

I suggest you exchange yours with new one like OTD did. It's possible there was some bad units in the first batch.

I don't think radio hardware design is issue when many folks can get well over 30Mbps down speed.

21. rockokma

How many times has your wife said "When are you going to get off your phone!"

Now, are you in a 4g zone, or extended 4g zone?

Extended 4G Zones are not Verizon Cell towers, they are roaming 4g zones.

Has everyone made sure that they have checked Roaming Data in the data section? It made a little difference for me.

22. jkc120

jkc120 Android Expert

disagree. if there is a strong enough signal then speeds can be fine. I was pulling 31 mbps outside my office and inside like 4.5 with barely 1 bar.

23. Sandroidfan

Sandroidfan Android Expert

4.5mbps inside doesn't seem that bad to me. So you don't think it's worth trying to exchange phone?

24. jkc120

jkc120 Android Expert

They're not going to exchange a phone for free just because I drop 4g in a house. So no, I won't since I'd have to pay $35.

25. rushmore

rushmore Extreme Android User

It is not an issue about speed. When in a good to great coverage area and not a building, the GNex does as good as 4G should, The issue is reception in areas that do not have great signal. It is not just 4G either. The radios for whatever reason are weaker than other current devices- even the Charge.

Wifi included.

Trooper, jroc and jkc120 like this.

Galaxy Nexus Forum

The Galaxy Nexus release date was November 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.65" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, TI OMAP 4460 processor, and 1750mAh battery.

November 2011
Release Date
Reviews