1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Signal strength?

Discussion in 'Chromecast' started by GeoUSA, Aug 1, 2013.

1. GeoUSA

GeoUSA Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 9, 2008
    Director of IT
    Chromecast is a small device so I'm not surprised it contains a small wireless antenna. However, my netbook and phone receive full bars of wireless signal near the TV. The Chromecast is lucky to receive one bar and the signal is insufficient. Anyone else experiencing this? Any tips?

Tonight I plan to try the extender but was careful to install my 55" Samsung with all cables in the wall. I really don't want something sticking out of the side. I was able to move the wireless router about 5' closer but it has not helped.

Advertisement

2. gtbarry

gtbarry Android Expert
    None

Jul 15, 2012
    Male
    California
    They really should sell an extended wifi antennae through the USB port for those who want it. It would increase signal strength and decrease interference (there are usually a lot of cables behind a TV).

The antennae could connect to the USB and be a pass-through so you could continue through to the power source.

3. GeoUSA

GeoUSA Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 9, 2008
    Director of IT
    I think a big part of the signal problem was that my Chromecast was sandwiched between my TV and the wall. I moved the Chromecast to an HDMI port in the back of my Yamaha receiver/amplifier and am now getting two bars which is enough signal for good performance. It has the added benefit of using my Bose surround speakers. Hooray!