1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

(Signal Test) Call Quality and Signal Strength are in doubt ( 2nd phone )

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by hankhenry87, May 5, 2010.

1. ShiftLft

ShiftLft Member

Can you point me to the Verizon resources (online?) that describe -85 poor and over -90 dropped calls?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

Is there a db meter somewhere on the phone? I'd like to see what I'm getting.

3. ShiftLft

ShiftLft Member

Settings, Network.

Besides dBm rating, a factor that is possibly more important is Rx Power. You can see this by dialing ##DEBUG and 1x Engineering. The lower number the better.

iowabowtech likes this.
  4. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

Not seeing much difference holding with palm vs. single finger on top and bottom. I lose about 5-7 db maybe from upper 70's to low/mid 80's in my house.

5. hankhenry87

"For a reliable connection, the RSSI should be greater than -95 dBm (e.g. -73 dBm). A value of -125 dBm indicates no signal. If the signal is between -95 dBm and -125 dBm, move the device to an alternate location."

I was off a bit, but I note terrible service at -90dBm. My phone is consistantly over -95, with -125 being no service. However, anything over -105 and your lucky to be able to make or recieve a call

6. ShiftLft

ShiftLft Member

Link for that information?

7. hankhenry87

Its on verizons website, i figure out how to link with this phone yet.

8. hankhenry87

Just got back from the store. The first tech didnt even know what a dBm was. The second was very helpful. He told me they've been flooded with problems about this issue and call quality in general. For such an expensive phone, there shouldnt be these problems. Apparently its a problem with most HTC devices. I was told they're working on the problems, BUT not to expect a solution because its a problem with the hardware. Normal BS from Verizon. I told him i'd give it another few days, but unless they get it fixed im returning it and the 4 others. I guess i'd be the 3rd person today to do this.

After all the waiting for the phone, im really dissappointed. HTC just seems like they dont know what their doing. Any word on if motorola is producing a non-slider droid phone? At least that got good reception, and way better battery life.

9. jsward12

jsward12 Android Enthusiast

I called Verizon, they did not have any knowledge of the signal issues. Since I bought it from a local store I have to swap the phone out with them but since they wont have anything until tomorrow or Saturday I am SOL, so switching back to ATT is looking better.

10. dt_

dt_ Well-Known Member

Yep. It's supposedly codenamed "Shadow", has a 4.1" inch display and possible HDMI output? HowardForums has some information about it apparently: HowardForums: Your Mobile Phone Community & Resource - Motorola Shadow Pre-Release Thread

11. tonytownsend

tonytownsend Member

Can I return the phone and cancel my contract is that allow if I just signed it getting this phone

12. hankhenry87

13. hankhenry87

Great Verizon is telling me since I replaced my phone I cant return my replacement since it is considered an exchange. WTF Verizon, take this phone and stick it up your A**

14. colnago

colnago Android Expert

I returned my Droid, within 30 days of starting new service with Verizon. I was charged an ETF, and had to call to get it removed. I only had to pay for time used. This after getting a replacement Droid for reception issues.

15. owlmatt

owlmatt Member

I am on my 2nd Incredible and so far the call quality is much better. I haven't tested in all situations, but so far it is better. I'm not talking about signal strength because bars mean nothing to me. I have had 6 smartphones in the last 2 years and all varied, but worked whenever I used it.

I will report back later with some final results.

16. ShiftLft

ShiftLft Member

Please do, interested in this.

17. Mikerose

Mikerose Lurker

Resetting to factory defaults improved my call quality.

18. allentb

allentb Lurker

I too had the same problem the phone would alert me that i had a voicemail and it would not indicate that anyone had called. This is getting frustrating along with Battery life. Other than those two problems the phone is awesome.

19. Goresh

Goresh Lurker

20. Twiz

Twiz Android Enthusiast

My signal is -100 to -105 at home when holding it. Drops to -93 when I set it down. I've been complaining about signal since I got my Incredible. Verizon just sent me a network extender "on the house!" :)

HTC Droid Incredible Forum

The HTC Droid Incredible release date was April 2010. Features and Specs include a 3.7" inch screen, 8MP camera, Snapdragon S1 processor, and 1300mAh battery.

April 2010
Release Date
Reviews