• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Signal/TextSecure passphrase for encryption of stored msgs or for encrypting calls?

pstein

Apr 12, 2012
When I go to Signal App (formerly TextSecure) then I can enter a passphrase there.

For what exactly is this passphrase?

Is it only to encrypt locally stored msgs or is it as well for encrypting a live call/conversation?

In other words: Can I perform an encrypted voice call WITHOUT having to set a passphrase?

Peter

Yes, correct. Signal's end-t0-end encryption isn't tied to setting a passphrase, that's more about preventing anyone else from using the app on your phone. The encryption part comes into play when you first installed the Signal app on your phone and then registered your phone number as your default phone number. Then when you're calling someone else, who also has their number registered to their Signal app on their phone, that connection is encrypted.

I'm not absolutely sure about the following though. The encryption probably doesn't apply to what's stored on your phone however, that's more a matter of encrypting your user storage via Android itself. If you passphrase your Signal app it will complicate things for someone who stole your phone but if they're persistent enough they'll just use a file manager to access the file system of your phone and look at your data/files that way. (Which is why it's a good idea to encrypt your phone to begin with whenever applicable.)

Reactions: pstein
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones