• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Significance of voltage during battery drain?

A

Android Question

I'm testing 3 tablets at the moment, with an app called "Battery Drain". 2 Motorola Xooms, and an Asus TF101. The 2 Xoom's are giving me: 7.876v and 7.886v during drain, while the Asus is showing .007v! That's a big meatball of a difference. But what does it mean, I'm not sure? Is higher or lower voltage preferable during drain? The Asus appears to be draining a tad more slower than the other two, if that counts for anything....

I'm testing 3 tablets at the moment, with an app called "Battery Drain". 2 Motorola Xooms, and an Asus TF101. The 2 Xoom's are giving me: 7.876v and 7.886v during drain, while the Asus is showing .007v! That's a big meatball of a difference. But what does it mean, I'm not sure? Is higher or lower voltage preferable during drain? The Asus appears to be draining a tad more slower than the other two, if that counts for anything....

The ~7volt drops are probably a miss read. the .007V looks good.

Upvote 0
The ~7volt drops are probably a miss read. the .007V looks good.

On both Motorola's, the 7.x volts are a misread?? I stopped and started the app many times, and both Xooms always read 7.x volts (changing slightly within the 7 range). The Asus did not budge from .007v. (So I thought that was a misread!).

The Asus also shows a lower temperature during drain (33.1c) than the two Xooms (38.7c and 40c). All 3 tablets are in a drawer, left alone, and I made sure all tasks were killed on all the devices (both Xooms have the same ver. of Android). Yet when I came back in, I noticed the Battery Drain app on one of the Motorolas had stopped, thus screwing up my drain calculations! Also very strange!

Upvote 0
On both Motorola's, the 7.x volts are a misread?? I stopped and started the app many times, and both Xooms always read 7.x volts (changing slightly within the 7 range). The Asus did not budge from .007v. (So I thought that was a misread!).

The Asus also shows a lower temperature during drain (33.1c) than the two Xooms (38.7c and 40c). All 3 tablets are in a drawer, left alone, and I made sure all tasks were killed on all the devices (both Xooms have the same ver. of Android). Yet when I came back in, I noticed the Battery Drain app on one of the Motorolas had stopped, thus screwing up my drain calculations! Also very strange!

My understanding was the app was reading the drop in voltage. If it reads the battery voltage it looks high. It just might be that it's a tablet and runs two normal cells in series.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones