1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Silence SMS/Notifications but not Ringtone

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by daveyboyuk, Apr 26, 2012.

1. daveyboyuk

daveyboyuk Lurker
    None

Apr 26, 2012
    Glasgow
    I work on call therefore need to have my phone available to ring during the night. But what I don't need is SMS notifications, Facebook messages etc waking me up.

I've found various Apps but nothing seems to do the trick. My only way around this just now is to switch all notifications off including SMS Notification Sounds.

I had the same problem with my iPhone but I was hoping that there would surely be an Android App out there for my shiny New HTC One X :)

Here is my software information (this is the latest available to me via my Carrier 3UK)

Android Version: 4.0.3
    HTC Sense: 4.0
    Software Number: 1.26.771.2
    HTC SDK API Level: 4.11
    HTC Extension version: HTCExtension_403_1_GA_3

Here's hoping someone has the answer.

Cheers, David (",)

Advertisement

2. Metroid Prime

Metroid Prime Oil Can!!! Oil Can!!!

Feb 15, 2012
    Male
    Web Dev
    Texas
    hello daveyboyuk, and welcome to Android Forums. I think what you need to do is go into settings> sound> volume and select notification. I have the Inspire so I hope this works with the One X which by the way nice choice. If you need any help or have any questions please feel free to ask. :)

EDIT: kct has already found one. :)

3. kct1975

kct1975 Android Expert
    None

Sep 26, 2011
    Male
    NoVA
    Hi there daveyboyuk:hello:

Welcome to the Android Forum!

When I first got my HTC EVO, I had the same problem. I searched the Market and found the app Volume Control Abuser (No Ads)

It actually work very well. It allows me to interdependently control the various volume controls.

Metroid Prime likes this.
  4. daveyboyuk

daveyboyuk Lurker
    None

Apr 26, 2012
    Glasgow
    Hi there, and thanks to both of you for replying. I've tried the App you suggested however on the HTC One X there are only 3 sets of volume controls as standard...

1: Music, video, games & other media

2: Ringtone & notifications

3: Alarms

Within the App (albeit there are 7 settings) when I reduce the sound for "Notification" it reduces the Ringtone Volume therefore its not possible for me to silence Notifications whilst maintaining the Ringtone volume.

Any other suggestions?

Nokia done it years and years ago, if only they made it easy to control modern "smart" phones :)

Cheers, David

5. Metroid Prime

Metroid Prime Oil Can!!! Oil Can!!!

Feb 15, 2012
    Male
    Web Dev
    Texas
    That's strange...on the Inspire I can mute notifications while maintaining the same level of volume for the ringtone. Have you gone into Ringtone & Notifications?

EDIT: If that doesn't help, then try going over to your devices area of support here HTC One X
    to find helpful tips and troubleshooting. You may also ask there and see if there may be a solution to the Ringtone notification volume.

daveyboyuk likes this.
  6. daveyboyuk

daveyboyuk Lurker
    None

Apr 26, 2012
    Glasgow
    Thanks for this, unfortunately it doesn't let you go into Ringtone & Notifications, it just lets you adjust the volume. I'll head on over to Device Support, surely I cant be the only 1 who doesn't like being woken up in the middle of the night to Facebook updates etc :)

Cheers, David