• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Silence SMS/Notifications but not Ringtone

I work on call therefore need to have my phone available to ring during the night. But what I don't need is SMS notifications, Facebook messages etc waking me up.

I've found various Apps but nothing seems to do the trick. My only way around this just now is to switch all notifications off manually, going into each App, including SMS Notification Sounds.

There only appears to be 3 sets of Sound Volumes that you can adjust on this phone...

Settings - Sound - Volumes

1: Music, video, games & other media

2: Ringtone & notifications

3: Alarm

If you Mute "Ringtone & notifications" then you wont hear your phone ring.

I had the same problem with my iPhone but I was hoping that there would surely be an Android App out there for my shiny New HTC One X

Here is my software information (this is the latest available to me via my Carrier 3UK)

Android Version: 4.0.3
HTC Sense: 4.0
Software Number: 1.26.771.2
HTC SDK API Level: 4.11
HTC Extension version: HTCExtension_403_1_GA_3

Here's hoping someone has the answer.

Cheers, David (",)

Attachments

• 2012-04-29_12-04-40.png
    2012-04-29_12-04-40.png
    154.7 KB · Views: 133
Woah bummer. Is this a sense 4.0 thing or ICS thing?

I was wondering the same thing, so I am off asking GNex owners this question...

PS - Steven58 says he has separate volume controls on a custom rom. I will be able to get an answer for the stock ROM tomorrow unless someone gets the answer earlier. :)

Reactions: El Presidente
Upvote 0
So does that mean if you silence your phone your alarm won't ring?

I work on call therefore need to have my phone available to ring during the night. But what I don't need is SMS notifications, Facebook messages etc waking me up.

I've found various Apps but nothing seems to do the trick. My only way around this just now is to switch all notifications off manually, going into each App, including SMS Notification Sounds.

There only appears to be 3 sets of Sound Volumes that you can adjust on this phone...

Settings - Sound - Volumes

1: Music, video, games & other media

2: Ringtone & notifications

3: Alarm

If you Mute "Ringtone & notifications" then you wont hear your phone ring.

I had the same problem with my iPhone but I was hoping that there would surely be an Android App out there for my shiny New HTC One X

Upvote 0
The ringtones and notifications volumes behavior is a stock ICS thing, according to our pal who is running stock ICS on his Galaxy Nexus -

The_Chief said:
Sadly, Boss, the ringtone and notification volumes are ganged together in stock ICS.

Settings --> Sound --> Volumes

There is a setting for "Music, video, games & other media", "Ringtone & notifications" and "Alarms".

So unless there's an app out there that can separate the two, I'm afraid they're forever linked. I know that's not the answer anyone wanted to hear, but it's the answer I have for you.

Reactions: El Presidente
Upvote 0
I remember this being a problem on my DHD when I first got it. It was on Froyo then and I remember also being extremely peeved that SMS and ringtone volumes were linked. I do remember solving it somehow, but I think this was only when I rooted the phone. My feeling is that this has always been a stock Android thing and HTC haven't changed it. If you're wondering how it got broken, I think you're probably misremembering and it has actually always been broken, but has been fixed by most custom ROMs.

Now I've got a stock One X, it's back to square one for me too and now I'm very peeved again!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones