1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Silence the phone at touch of a button...

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by insearchof, Feb 22, 2011.

1. insearchof

insearchof Guest

I have a Motorola DROIDX running Android v2.2.1. I'm wondering if there is a way to configure the phone or procure an application that will silence the phone quickly at the "touch of a button". It doesn't matter if the phone starts making noise because of a notification, or there is an incoming call, or the calendar alarm goes off, etc. Whatever it is (besides the alarm of course) that starts to make noise, I want to be able to quickly silence the phone. I work in a cube environment - actually, I'm in a bullpen and there are cubes all around us so the noise can be disrupting to others. And I don't always remember to set the phone for not making noise every time I go into a meeting or come into work or whatever. So if there's something or someway to make the phone silent whenever it starts making noise, that would be outstanding. I know - I don't have a Blackberry anymore and I'm still getting used to this phone so ... please don't flame me ... please please. :p

Advertisement

2. UncleMike

UncleMike Android Expert

On my Droid, I can press the power button to silence the ringer during an incoming call. This may work for other sounds as well. You might want to give that a try.

You also may want to take a look at some apps that can schedule changes to various volumes based on time and/or location. I'm using Tasker for this purpose, but there are several others that may also meet your needs, including Locale, Timeriffic, Ring Scheduler, and more.

3. apavolka

apavolka Android Enthusiast

welcome to android forums. During ringing, if you press the lock button it will go silent. I'm not sure but the volume down button may do the same thing. Not sure if that's what you want but that's what I got. :)

4. cultldr

cultldr Android Enthusiast

vol down does stop the noise while ringing

apavolka likes this.
  5. apavolka

Mike beat me to it. :p

6. nj02vette

nj02vette Android Expert

The Droid X also has a setting that it will go silent if you place it face down.

7. bigbadwulff

bigbadwulff Android Expert

IGNORE button on a call.
    Down volume button.

There is a setting or an app that will allow you to turn the phone over to silence it also.

There is another app that you can program your phone to go silent at certain times of the day.

8. mruno

mruno Android Expert

With the app tasker, you can make a profile to silence on any button you prefer or even all of them.

9. BookLover

BookLover Android Expert

I have Tasker auto-silence my phone when there is an appt in my calendar. I never have to touch the light and volume settings on my phone. Tasker automatically changes everything based on my combination of location, BT, power, time, and/or active apps.

10. mac16

mac16 Well-Known Member

OK first of all when you wake the phone you should see 2 sliders. The slider on the right unlocks the phone, but the slider on the left if you slide that will silence the phone. Bam tada your phone is silenced with a simple flick. I just made the habit of whenever I am going in some place where it needs to be quiet I usually just wake it with the power button then silence it.

Also if your phone is making noise and you want to quickly silence it you can press the volume down button and I am pretty sure that will silence it as well.

11. foo

foo Android Enthusiast

:::repeats the same 2 things mentioned 10times already:::
    ;)

i'm sure he gets it now, hehe

12. apavolka

You got it wrong my friend. Left unlocks, right silences. :p