1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

General Silencing Text Notification Sounds

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by cmajpwc, Apr 22, 2010.

1. cmajpwc

cmajpwc Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2010
    I can't find another thread where this is, maybe i didn't search hard enough? I went through the first ten or so pages and searched and couldn't find anything, so i there's already a thread about this, let me know =]

My problem is this: I use parts of songs, not sounds, for notifications and stuff. So, when I get a text, the chorus to "Faded Line" by Lamb Of God starts playing. Obviously I don't need all 30 seconds of the chorus all the time to tell me I have a text message. However, to silence or stop the sound, I have to turn on the screen, unlock the phone, go into my messages, and look at the thread with the message in it. Is there any way I can silence it without having to do that? Like if I can't do that all right away, it would just keep playing. So is there a button any of you know of I can press? The volume down does not silence it. End does not silence it. I haven't tried all the buttons, but before I go through all possible button combinations I was wondering if any of you out there already know how to do this lol.

Thanks in advance guys =]

Advertisement

2. Podivin

Podivin Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Jacksonville, Fl
    It seems to me you've tried all the obvious things.
    So maybe you should download RingDroid from the market and make yourself a shorter version of your ringtone specifically for use for notifications.
    I'm sure the people around in the store will appreciate it too. :)

3. cmajpwc

cmajpwc Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2010
    I have RingDroid and love it. Just when I'm sleeping or something or it's loud around me and I might not hear it right way is when I like the longer ringtones. I will probably end up just making a shorter version of it. Hopefully it won't come down to that, cause even though RingDroid is easy to use I would still like to not have to make it again.

4. peterm

peterm New Member

May 15, 2010
    Same problem, with Calendar. I want a long, loud notification tone so I'll hear it in a noisy place, but I want to silence it quickly if I'm in a meeting. The built-in Alarm Clock let's you turn it off with the camera button (Droid), so it should be possible for other apps too. But I haven't found an app that will do that (turn off the ongoing notif sound with a button press). Can anyone recommend one?