• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Silent and do not disturb issues

Amyelle

Lurker
Feb 19, 2016
Since the Android update, everytime I switch my phone into silent it automatically activates do not disturb. How do I stop this? I've looked for answers and HTC say this shouldn't happen but can't seem to resolve it.

I'm currently switching my DND setting between approved contacts and no contacts to stop it ringing during meetings etc, however, I just realised that when I allow calls from approved contacts they're on silent. I have no ringtone on DND from any of my approved contacts so the silent sound profile is totally linked to DND. I need be contactable in an emergency at night which is why I used DND but I also want my phone on silent without having DND.

Any ideas? Does anyone else have this issue?

Since the Android update, everytime I switch my phone into silent it automatically activates do not disturb. How do I stop this? I've looked for answers and HTC say this shouldn't happen but can't seem to resolve it.

I'm currently switching my DND setting between approved contacts and no contacts to stop it ringing during meetings etc, however, I just realised that when I allow calls from approved contacts they're on silent. I have no ringtone on DND from any of my approved contacts so the silent sound profile is totally linked to DND. I need be contactable in an emergency at night which is why I used DND but I also want my phone on silent without having DND.

Any ideas? Does anyone else have this issue?

I second that. Upgraded last week. The next day I dropped my phone into my pocket after a call and moved on. Apparently the down volume button was bumped in my pocket before the screen turned off. Phone when into DND mode. Pocket DND. I realized 4 hr later that my phone was rejecting calls. I missed customer calls during my "learning curve". After realizing how DND works, I am now very sorry I upgraded the phone. It appears that you cannot disable DND from being the last position of volume down. For now I am trying to remember to turn off the phone before dropping into my pocket - after every call - annoying. I cannot afford to miss customer calls because the phone does pocket anything. Annoying I can live with, the phone going brain dead in the middle of the day because a volume button was bumped in my pocket I cannot afford. Everyone - how do I fix this (is my only option to buy an iPhone?).

Upvote 0
I second that. Upgraded last week. The next day I dropped my phone into my pocket after a call and moved on. Apparently the down volume button was bumped in my pocket before the screen turned off. Phone when into DND mode. Pocket DND. I realized 4 hr later that my phone was rejecting calls. I missed customer calls during my "learning curve". After realizing how DND works, I am now very sorry I upgraded the phone. It appears that you cannot disable DND from being the last position of volume down. For now I am trying to remember to turn off the phone before dropping into my pocket - after every call - annoying. I cannot afford to miss customer calls because the phone does pocket anything. Annoying I can live with, the phone going brain dead in the middle of the day because a volume button was bumped in my pocket I cannot afford. Everyone - how do I fix this (is my only option to buy an iPhone?).

Yup - an iphone is the answer to everything. Jeeeeeeezzzzz

If it was on silent, you still wouldn't hear it.

Upvote 0
Yup - an iphone is the answer to everything. Jeeeeeeezzzzz

If it was on silent, you still wouldn't hear it.

You missed the point of my comment. The iPhone was a sarcastic comment - I do not want to go iPhone, I want a solution to my problem. The problem is pocket DND. The point is, I did not set DND intentionally - the ringer was up for my last call. Vibrate works in my pocket to alert me to a call, DND never. Is there ANY way to stop the phone from going to DND in my pocket. How do I stop the phone from going to DND on the down volume button? My sarcasm was out of frustration. Your sarcastic comment was not very useful. This is a plea for help. Can you tell me how to solve my problem? The wonderful DND feature everyone is talking about may have already lost more in business than this phone is worth by the pocket DND. I want someone to tell me how to solve the problem. I understand this is not an HTC problem, but an Android "feature" that will not be fixed by changing to a new Samsung or HTC phone - hence the bit of truth in the iPhone comment.

Upvote 0
Good suggestion except - if I drop it in my pocket upside-down and the power on button gets pressed for an instant(bent over, crouching, pushing on something with my leg, etc - can happen during the day), the screen turns on and the down volume button becomes active - again - exposing me to the DND risk. Even if I do a lock screen, the DND is available while locked via the down volume button once the power button is pushed. I have sensed once in a while the quiet (vibrate) mode engaging prior to the upgrade with pressure on my pocket, a single short vibrate. I do not feel it every time it happens though. The new DND mode does that also, but again, I do not always feel a single short vibrate in the pocket. A call vibrates over and over. I have missed a couple of calls on vibrate over the years, but not many. I at least need the phone to vibrate for a call. I have been carrying HTC for about 8 years and never accidentally got to DND, till now.

Upvote 0
That answer is what I have been looking for. Yes, it appears to solve the issue. Never considered setting priority to anyone. Priority stays set when you turn the volume up and more importantly, is remembered when you turn the volume down to DND. Just verified that it works.

Thanks rod9669! You made my day.

I would mark your solution as best answer, but since I hijacked this thread, I will at least give you a Like.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones