• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Silent bug, Verizon and me

Peter123

Android Enthusiast
Nov 20, 2009
So after (1.5->2.1) OTA and reboot again I had the silent bug the second time.
As my esteemed forum-brothers suggested I headed to the local Verizon store.
I got to a service guy and the conversation went like this.
- Hi, I have the Eris and after the OTA I had the silent bug​

i went to the store on thursday and said that after the ota i was having a problem with the audio dropping out randomly. no one there had seemed to have heard of the problem either. i explained how random the problem is and that i cant recreate it. she suggested a factory reset which i had shown her i did. she tried calling the phone twice but it still worked fine haha. anyway, not two minutes later she just said that she would send me a new one. it couldnt have went any better.

Upvote 0
i went to the store on thursday and said that after the ota i was having a problem with the audio dropping out randomly. no one there had seemed to have heard of the problem either. i explained how random the problem is and that i cant recreate it. she suggested a factory reset which i had shown her i did. she tried calling the phone twice but it still worked fine haha. anyway, not two minutes later she just said that she would send me a new one. it couldnt have went any better.

Good for you.
I called HTC tech support to report the problem.
They did not know about the problem, and the person said it is likely a hardware issue amd should get the phone replaced. I told the person that my local store does not want to replace it she suggested to call the Verizon tech support and talk with them
She said it is maybe related to the rocker switch (why?).
When I said I did the factory reset through Settings//Privacy/Factory reset, she suggested to try to reset via rebooting + key press combo.
Peter
PS:
I encourage EVERYBODY with any bug please report it directly to HTC tech support. If they don't know about it, it never going to be fixed!​

Upvote 0
That "could be related to the rocker switch" remark got me to wondering if anybody has attempted to fool around with the volume toggles during the call that has gone silent.

And Peter, your advice to contact HTC seems spot on; they're the ones who actually built the thing, seems like it would be more logical to be able to work your way to a knowledgeable person there than at Verizon.

Upvote 0
I can't imagine that Verizon and/or HTC would not be aware of this problem.

There's no way they can play dumb.

Well, with due respect to you for your opinion there, I don't think they're playing dumb. Especially at Verizon.

Various bugs and issues usually get reported to the Verizon 800 number or the 611 option, I'm thinking.

Upvote 0
My Eris is rooted and I have the problem, randomly, every few days. My wife's Eris got the OTA and it drops the sound several times a day. The problem can be repeated every time by being on a call and moving the phone away from your face, once the screen comes back on then no sound.

Called VZW tech support and they agreed to send replacement 2 day FEDEX.

Upvote 0
... The problem can be repeated every time by being on a call and moving the phone away from your face, once the screen comes back on then no sound.

So the problem may be related to the proximity sensor then.

[edit]: I'm on a call to a long menu at my bank, attempting to make it happen by moving the phone away and bringing it back every several seconds.. hasn't happened yet.

Upvote 0
I'd go back to 1.5 and see if the problem occurs and if so as often. As for myself, I had called Verizon tech support, and told them my audio issue, Verizon called HTC, HTC offered to flash 2.1 back to 1.5 I said hell no, Verizon sent me replacement phone. in the end don't ever try to go to the store, A basic reader on this forum knows wayyy more than anyone working at Verizon store.

Upvote 0
Hello all.... Joined the forums recently and was lurking about getting great info about my Eris. I too am suffering the silent call issue after OTA update. I did uncheck the quiet ring on pick up box and since have had no issues. I'm going to monitor this for a few days before I do the factory reset. I just got all my apps back to normal from the update.

Upvote 0
Hello all.... Joined the forums recently and was lurking about getting great info about my Eris. I too am suffering the silent call issue after OTA update. I did uncheck the quiet ring on pick up box and since have had no issues. I'm going to monitor this for a few days before I do the factory reset. I just got all my apps back to normal from the update.

Welcome to the forums.

Disabling the "quiet ring on pick up" seems to work for some, but not others. Let us know if it's successful for you.

I could not duplicate it on a call by messing with the proximity sensor; I'll enable the "quiet ring" thing and see if it happens on my phone now.

Upvote 0
I had a similar experience at our verizon store. Went home and called the tech support number at *611, she asked me about two questions and said it sounded like a hardware problem and is sending me a new phone. Lesson learned: Don't go to the store, call them on the phone.

I never even went in to the store, I just called and told him of the no sound problem and he said "hardware problem" we'll send you a new one.

Upvote 0
Welcome to the forums.

Disabling the "quiet ring on pick up" seems to work for some, but not others. Let us know if it's successful for you.

I could not duplicate it on a call by messing with the proximity sensor; I'll enable the "quiet ring" thing and see if it happens on my phone now.

Where do you set "quiet ring on pick up" and what does it do?
Peter

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones