• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Silent Mode: Vibrate On/Off

Haruspex

Dec 8, 2009
So if you push-and-hold the power button, the nice little "Phone options" menu pops up and lets me go into "Silent mode." This kills all sound save for your media apps.

However, sometimes I still want the phone to vibrate for incoming calls and messages (text/voice). At the moment, enabling "Silent mode" through the quick method above, "Vibrate phone" always becomes unchecked.

I can, of course, simply go through Settings > Sound & display, and while there can enable and disable "Silent mode" without having the "Vibrate phone" setting altered. But, this is not nearly as convenient.

I would like to be able to quickly enable "Silent mode"

One problem that seems to exiat is that when you put your Moment in its case it depresses buttons and when you remove it it give you a choice of Silent Mode or Airplane. If you are driving, you have to stop and go to the settings to get it back to normal. I have even had to remove the battery to get out of if. Makes no sense for it to work this way and drives me nuts!

Upvote 0
One problem that seems to exiat is that when you put your Moment in its case it depresses buttons and when you remove it it give you a choice of Silent Mode or Airplane. If you are driving, you have to stop and go to the settings to get it back to normal. I have even had to remove the battery to get out of if. Makes no sense for it to work this way and drives me nuts!

Your Moment? This thread is about the Motorola Droid.

My case does not do this at all, you must have a bad third-party case.
You can't blame Motorola for their Droid design if your case design is bad.

When you are presented with the Phone options menu on the Droid, you can simply press the back button to exit out of it. I have never had to go to a settings menu, you can always push-and-hold the power button to bring up that small list of Phone options. I can see no reason at all why you would have to remove a battery. It sounds like you're just doing it wrong.

Upvote 0
I may have misunderstood you here, and if so, just let me know. Beautiful Widgets has small widgets that you can click to turn on/off Silent Mode, as well as Vibrate. In addition, if you just want to switch between them quickly, use the volume rocker. Turning it all the way down makes the phone silent, and one step higher is vibrate only.

Upvote 0
I may have misunderstood you here, and if so, just let me know. Beautiful Widgets has small widgets that you can click to turn on/off Silent Mode, as well as Vibrate. In addition, if you just want to switch between them quickly, use the volume rocker. Turning it all the way down makes the phone silent, and one step higher is vibrate only.

I think you have understood. There are some nice apps and widgets out there which help with this. However, none seem to accommodate usage without unlocking the screen.

It would be nice to have a "Vibrate mode" option in addition to the "Silent mode" option on the "Phone options" screen arrived at by pushing and holding the power button when the screen is on.

"vibrate mode by force" and "BuzzLock" are decent apps which help turn the "Silent mode" option into a vibrate mode, but both prevent you from going back into sound on mode from the lock screen.

Upvote 0
Ahhh. I see, you want to be able to do it while the phone is still locked. That, unfortunately, I can't help you with :( It seems like you would need root access to modify that menu in a way that would do what you want it to do.

Yar, that would be ideal. I appreciate your thoughts.

Root access is no problem, but after that, determining the hack for that particular menu is a chore I'm not up for at the moment. It would be nice if there was an existing solution.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones