1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Silly noob question

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jboliver1999, Jul 11, 2011.

1. jboliver1999

jboliver1999 Lurker
    None

Jul 11, 2011
    I bought a Nook color so I could root it. Well, I did but I used a 2 year old, simple 2g sd card. I couldn't wait for my 8g class 6 one to come in. The cm7 seems to be running fine off of the 2g card but my question is, would I be better off redoing everything on the 8g class 6 card?

Advertisement

2. gadgetmonster

gadgetmonster Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 6, 2010
    I'm a noob too so correct me if i'm wrong but once you installed cm7 via the card, you don't need it in the unit anymore......so, you could pull it.

3. colchiro

colchiro Android Expert
    None

Jun 4, 2010
    Male
    Web developer/IT
    Did you install CM7 on the card, leaving the stock B&N rom intact?

If yes, then I suspect you'll be running out of room soon. Unfortunately, redoing it would mean losing everything if you don't know how to copy the contents to a new card and resizing it.

If you installed CM7 on the NC (eMMC), replacing the B&N rom, then it's a simple matter of copying your 2g card to the new one.

Either way, yes, 2 gb is a bit small. I use a 16 gb card, but many here use an 8 gb. If you installed CM7 on the sdcard, then you probably want a 16 since everything is on the card, nothing on the NC.

I believe you're talking about the bootable CWM recovery disk, which you have to pull if you want to boot the internal rom, o/w you'd be in recovery all the time. :D

Too many ways to install CM7 here so it does get confusing, esp. for those of us who provide support.

FWIW, I'm not a big fan of installing installing a custom rom on the sdcard, leaving the stock rom intact. I can see why it's done and why someone might want to try it, but it's a temp solution so as to not void the warranty IMO.

4. gadgetmonster

None

Jul 6, 2010
    colc, i agree with your last point, you can just reflash the stock os anyway if you need to.

5. jboliver1999

jboliver1999 Lurker
    None

Jul 11, 2011
    Yes, that's what I did. I figured it would be better (more room) with the 8g one. I really haven't done much of anything else with it yet, so redoing it won't take too long. I personally wanted to keep the stock B&N rom intact that's why I'm running CM7 off the sd card. At least now I know what I did worked. Thanks so much for your advice.

colchiro likes this.
  6. colchiro

colchiro Android Expert
    None

Jun 4, 2010
    Male
    Web developer/IT
    Exactly.

It keeps me off the streets at night. :D

7. gadgetmonster

None

Jul 6, 2010
    I second that, thanks for your help also.

colchiro likes this.